Bad Reputation

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

samuel123

Reaction score
I have kept fish for a while and I haven't ever kept a hybrid fish I quite like the look of flowerhorns. I was wondering why I had never kept a hybrid and I think I've been put off by people giving them such a bad reputation in magazines etc.
Why are people so down on them ?

Hybrids often have health issues, require very specific diets and potentially threaten other species. I also generally prefer the natural look of fish, without any fancy breeding.

theres alot of "natural" fish that are actually hybrids..

about flowerhorns, i have one and he is housed in a 100g with 6 silver dollars,7 tiger barbs, 2 blue acaras, 4 convicts and a rotkeil sev.

they are all temporary though, my flowerhorn is only 4-5" at the moment and he will have the 100g to himself soon.(going to try keep the dollars with him but unlikely it'll work)

going by other peoples opinions when the get larger the get V. aggressive and are usually kept on theyre own..

what size tank do you have?

I can understand that you prefer fish in their natural condition.

I suppose its all preference and I hope that we don't end up with the fish equivalent of inbred pedigree dogs.

I have a 120l tank with a SE asian Biotope 'feel' I have a couple of corydoras that dont quite fit in though...
I have a real soft spot for bettas and Im planing on breeding some nice red halfmoons .
And I have a chaca catfish in a species only tank (the corydoras were bought as a well meaning but badly thought out present from my big brother for tank makes with him)

I like big cichlids, don't think I have enough experience to set up a species only tank for some though.
Id have oscars or jaguar cichilids when I'm ready .

theres alot of "natural" fish that are actually hybrids..
That is true. I still generally prefer natural looking fish, which have not been bred for colour or body shape.

I suppose its all preference and I hope that we don't end up with the fish equivalent of inbred pedigree dogs.
As far as I can see, this problem already exists in fish such as blood parrots, fancy goldfish, guppies/mollies/platys/etc, Bettas, some gouramis, all "baloon" fish... you are right that for the most part, it is a matter of preference.

I agree that some fancy goldfish are abominations but I suppose others would see them as beautiful.
I think modifying body shape isnt desirable but I think breeding for colours of finshape is fairly harmless compaired to things like bubble-eye goldfish or the ones that are so slow they have to stay at the bottom of the tank. However we dont see these animals with shortened lifespans as we see from the inbreeding of dogs, dairy cattle etc. so I dont think these practices are as injurious.

I think in a biotope set up the man made fish look completely out of place but then again im fond of half moon extended red bettas go figure .

I think modifying body shape isnt desirable but I think breeding for colours of finshape is fairly harmless compaired to things like bubble-eye goldfish or the ones that are so slow they have to stay at the bottom of the tank. However we dont see these animals with shortened lifespans as we see from the inbreeding of dogs, dairy cattle etc. so I dont think these practices are as injurious.
Actually, in my personal experience with breeding fish, I do notice difference between inbred and crossed out lines of fancy fish. I agree that colour modifications are considerably less harmful than body modifications, but from what I have seen, they can still be an issue due to inbreeding.. but that can be counteracted without too much effort by responsible crossing out to unrelated individuals.

I agree you have to make sure you dont make your gene pool too small.
Its a difficult issue actually ive been thinking about it alot recently, I'm thinking of breeding bettas
I suppose its 6 and half a dozen in my mind. I dont think I will give up my natural fish because I don't see myself going for fish that have been 'too' modified if you get my drift ?
I suppose it comes back to the judgement call thing.

I did used to breed B. splendens, but as my interest in fish grew, I became more interested in other Betta species.. you might find it worthwhile looking at those, if you're not too sure on whether you want to breed Bettas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back