Bacteria Supplements

schooly20

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
196
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
While I was looking around at my lfs today I came across what was called stability. It says that it adds the needed bacteria to a new tank, basically saying you wouldn't need to cycle it at all. I just wondering if anyone had used this or a similar product, and if it really does work, or if its all just a to make money?
 
Unreliable at best, useless at worst. I used stability with my first fishless cycle. Used it as described on the label for a week, then after seeing a thread here, dumped the rest of the bottle in. The cycle still took five weeks, which isn't short even without adding bacteria. Bio-Spira (I've heard the UK equivalent is Bactinettes) has the potential to work as advertised, but they're sensitive. If they're mishandled in shipping, at the store, or on the drive home, you're SOL. I wouldn't trust any of them to replace a cycle, but they might help as a supplement to one.

I saw a post the other day about some of the products containing bacteria that do live in a tank, but aren't the ones responsible for processing ammonia and nitrite. I'll see if I can turn it up again.
 
the only products that work are the ones that have to be refigerated before use,
in the case of the continental us that is bio-spira(tm)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top