Bacteria In A Bottle

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

backtotropical

Retired Mod
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I found this article by David Straub and Beverly Dixon of The Department of Biological Sciences, California State University.

The findings are quite obviously biased toward a particular brand of 'Bacteria in a Bottle', but the experiment itself, and particularly their findings of other bacteria booster products is interesting.

I think that although biased, this probably constitutes sound research on the subject.

http://www.bioconlabs.com/bacteval.html

Discuss!

Not to be too blunt about it, but I think that that is a pretty rotten "article". First, the references aren't recent -- why cite a paper from the early 1980's when more recent work by Hovanec and coworkers show that the main bacteria in home aquaria aren't the ones from the older literature? The authors of this piece show no familiarity with the literature.

Secondly, where are the numbers? Where are the graphs? Where are the names of other competing products? Are there any statistics at all? What are they? How many trials did they do? What control did they setup?

Way too many unanswered questions. While they don't necessarily all have to be answered, there are way too left unanswered for me.

Yeah, i know what you mean, Dr Honkerface.

I posted it because it is a subject is talked about quite frequently on TFF and i'd never even heard of any specific research on 'Bacteria in a bottle'.

I've also been reading recently that lots of these products actually contain Heterotrophic bacteria, which although required, won't speed up your cycle at all.

Not to be too blunt about it, but I think that that is a pretty rotten "article". First, the references aren't recent -- why cite a paper from the early 1980's when more recent work by Hovanec and coworkers show that the main bacteria in home aquaria aren't the ones from the older literature? The authors of this piece show no familiarity with the literature.

Secondly, where are the numbers? Where are the graphs? Where are the names of other competing products? Are there any statistics at all? What are they? How many trials did they do? What control did they setup?

Way too many unanswered questions. While they don't necessarily all have to be answered, there are way too left unanswered for me.

I totally agree with your summary about this article. I would however like to read any recent results of similiar tests if anyone comes across them.

For what it's worth I tryed "Cycle" and to the best of my knowledge it had no effect good or bad. Don T.

Most reactions

Back