Backtotropical's Main Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

backtotropical

Retired Mod
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
OK. I've been on here a while now and thought it was time to get some pics on. Here goes.

Front_view.jpg

Close_up_1.jpg

Close_up_2.jpg

That rock isn't good. It will leak calcium into the tank, and raise the Ph, eventually kinng the fish! I would take it out!

Yeah, i thought it would buffer the PH until i tested the tap water and it is PH8 anyway so just left it in. Didn't realise it would leak calcium. Might take it out then! :good:

wow your ph is high!

maybe peat filtration would help you lower it for your neons. definately replace that rock!

You have a marine setup with tropical fish and plants???????

It kinda looks that way eh? Skimmer will be removed. That was just there to get oily residue off the surface (from the sand i think). Tunze is staying, it's turned down to minimum flow so wont blow the fish out the tank. Also, as i said in previous post, might remove the rock. That should get the tank looking less "marine". It is freshwater though, i promise. lol. :good:

wow your ph is high!

maybe peat filtration would help you lower it for your neons. definately replace that rock!

I was thinking about trying bogwood, but dont want it to discolour the water. I'm open to suggestions.

You can use bog wood, but just place a little carbon in the filter (although this will remove the tannins). Basically the neons LOVE teac coloured acid water, and may even breed in such conditions in your tank. with the lighting in your tank, bog wood would not discolour the water too much. Soak it well in a bucket for a week first.

Also, there are commercial 'black water' treatments out there, but personally I dont recommend them, because it means yopur have to keep checking the water parameters constantly.

Nice tank, and that's a really good sized shoal of neons :good: .

However, that fern looking plant is non-aquatic, cant grow underwater, it will start to rot and look nasty after a while (and also contributing slightly to pollution in the tank). A shame so many places sell these plants as aquatic.

But other than that, nice looking tank :).

edit:It should be noted that if you go with bog wood, and use carbon to remove the tannins, your plants wont be getting the right nutrients and will probably turn yellow/brown and die :/. Personally, I would go with the peat idea :).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back