Background Colour?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Currently my Trigon that I'm in the process of converting to a reef is painted 'Duck Egg Blue' but I can't decided whether to change it to Black. I've had both colours before and there's pros and cons to each so would appreciate other opinions.

The tank is empty at the moment as i'm doing all the plumbing for the sump so changing the colour is not an issue at all.

The weir that I'm installing is black as is most of the equipment that will be seen in the tank so I'm erring towards black but still.

Black.

Always black for me, although occasionally I chicken out of painting a tank and use a bin liner.

Is the weir made of black material or are the pipes black with clear material?

Black is always good. I've seen some tanks with a very dark blue which looked great in saltwater tanks. Duck egg, I personally am not a fan.

Well the tank was beech effect but I've spent 4 hours today re-covering it in dark wood effect vinyl so the blue was good with it but I'm thinking black now.

The weir is made of black plastic drainpipe and all the pipes are hidden. Only thing that would be seen is black cables from the powerheads and the return pipes so a black background would hide them better.

I guess I've answered my own question :)

DrRob said:
although occasionally I chicken out of painting a tank and use a bin liner.

I have thought of using the stick-on backgrounds but could never be bothered to go bother a person at a shop to cut one for me. Never thought of bin liners before...so much more convenient. I am totally trying that the next time I set up a tank. :lol:

No it's not :)

Just put in all the powerheads, HOB fuge, outlets, etc. and there's a lot of black cables and equipment so let the scraping begin.

You should start a journal and get some pics up.

Once you go black you will never go back! :/

"runs away"

A journal can start at any stage. The salty section here can be a bit slow so the more the merrier. It's always good to see a new journal.

Paint is too much cost and work for me... bin bag girl for sure! LOL Currently sporting a deep blue bin bag on all three tanks! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back