Back Pressure And Rising Air. I Have Met My Match.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Okay. So I am a sump, OFB, and return pump newbie. but I researched a lot. I decided to go with a 120 US gallon, 1600 GPH CS OFB. 1 1/2" pipe, mag drive 1800 with 6 feet of piping and a for 90 degrees to slow it to roughly 1100 GPH.

However, turns out no one around here (1 hour drive one way) has a nice 120 that fit the shelving. they were all talls. I wanted a wide. So I got a 75E (a 78 gallon that is 75 shape but a little bit bigger)

I set it all up and there was the loud noise form the overflow box. So I made a standpipe. I noticed sometimes it would get overrun by the pump with the stand pipe sp I made a fail safe. (air tubes to deliever a siphone break. the tubs loops and positioned right above where i wanted the water line. when the pump begins to outrun the OFB the tubes give covered, thus no air, thus super siphone for a second or two. Then I had to do a few things with the return pump. no big deal. Then the pressure from the falling water form the OFB broke a refugium divider (no matter it was a unneeded and annoying anyway. I decided not to do the refugium anyway. )

But now the big problem.

So I raised the end of the to sump piping just above the water in the sump. However, so much air and water goes down the pipe that the upward flow of water from the air makes it shoot and splash up and out the the some quite frequency. So! how can I stop the air and splashing?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back