Baby Red Ear Slider

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

playa

Reaction score
ok here the deal, i requed a baby red ear slider form side of the road no where near any lakes (how it got there i have no idea). and i ahve it in a 10 gal rite now(its the size of a silver dollar). i know the 1"per 10 gal rule. when it gets bigger ill transfer it to a 20gallon plastic tub then a 49 gal tub, than my 250 gal pond with my other turtles. but heres the questions its very brave and everything but i dont know if it has adjusted to its surroundings yet, i have some feeders in there and now 1 of them is gone , im suspecting he ate it but the thing is it his bigger than his head. did it just take chunks out and ate it slowly at a time or did it just disapear, the swordtail it ate was like an inch long. its now eat pellets for one thing when i break the pellets so its small enough for it to eat itll sink and the fish get it so.that might be the problem with the pellets but does anybody know if the turtle will eat the regular size pellet?and oh if i only keep a heat lamp on the turtle and everyweek i take him outside for 30mins for the uv rays from the sun would that be ok? thanks alot if anybody answers.

when my turtles were little they would break up the big pellets and if you take tha lamp off then try for almost an hour outside, but 30 minutes for a turtle that size would probably be ok/
:D

when my turtles were little they would break up the big pellets and if you take tha lamp off then try for almost an hour outside, but 30 minutes for a turtle that size would probably be ok/
:D
so if i DONT get a lamp them 30 mins everyday or 30 mintures once a week or..what? or do u mean if i DO have a lamp it wil still be good for them to be outside 30 mins? and are you sure it can break up the big pellets? i mean its not hard or nothing but i was just thinking..

I have my UVB light on in my tank for 12 hours a day. RES are avid baskers and will bask several times a day. IMO just a trip outside isn't going to cut it! THey bask several times a day for extended periods at a time. They need basking temps to be in the upper 80s to low 90s and their water temps as hatchlings or sub adults need to be kept at 78 to 80 degrees. You can break up the pellets if you want, but my little turtle has never needed them broken up. They start to get soft in the water. Yes, your RES most likely tore the fish in pieces to eat it. For a hatchling (which it sounds like you have) water depths should be 4-6" deep and deeper when they get more comfortable. My 2" turtle is in 16" of water and loves it!
The following info was taken directly from HERE.
For the first 6 months of life, feed commercial pellets and/or other 'meaty' foods (such as earthworms, crickets or fish) once daily, enough to diminish appetite but not gorge the turtle. After 6 months, switch to every other day feeding. Romaine lettuce & other leafy greens may be offered daily for graze at will. Over time adjust diet content & schedule accounting for growth, activity level & appetite. Overfeeding high-protein foods causes rapid growth, shell deformities (pyramiding) & is believed harmful to the liver & kidneys.

Obviously if it was me, I've just provide the animal with a proper UV tube and replace it every 6-8 months. But it is generally accepted that 1 hour of full natural sunlight is adequate and an acceptable substitute for 12 hours of artificial UV.

Obviously if it was me, I've just provide the animal with a proper UV tube and replace it every 6-8 months. But it is generally accepted that 1 hour of full natural sunlight is adequate and an acceptable substitute for 12 hours of artificial UV.
Where yes, natural sunlight is better. I don't think the bulbs are that weak. I would have to say at least 5-6 hours in natural sunlight would be equal to 12 hours worth of the bulb. But who can get their turtles to stay basking in the sun that long without interruption. Outside they are more spooked and jump off from basking to hide when indoors they will spend more time in the basking area unbothered.

Where yes, natural sunlight is better. I don't think the bulbs are that weak. I would have to say at least 5-6 hours in natural sunlight would be equal to 12 hours worth of the bulb. But who can get their turtles to stay basking in the sun that long without interruption. Outside they are more spooked and jump off from basking to hide when indoors they will spend more time in the basking area unbothered.
are heat lights the same as uv? because that is what i am using right now.

nope. I have a heat bulb and a basking bulb.
Well, I take that back!
There are 2 bulbs I know of that produces both......Powersun and MegaRay. I personally use a normal household light bulb for heat and a Reptisun 5.0 for UVB.

Most reactions

Back