Baby Margarita Snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dreamer03

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just noticed I have lots of baby snails in my tank. Since the only snails i had before were margarita snails i assume they are that. Is there any special care for the babies or will they just eat algae like the older once?

Successful reproduction of large-ish snail species like Margaritas (which IME are usually some other genus like Tegula sold under the wrong name) and Turbos in the aquarium is quite rare since they all have to go through a planktonic larval stage that is quite fragile. Although it's not impossible that you had survivors that turned into little snails, it's more likely that you have a small species of some other snail that has showed up, such as Colonistas. Either way though, there's not a lot you can do care-wise beyond keeping your water quality high and avoiding adding other herbivores that would compete for food. To cultivate a snail population, it's also a good idea to avoid cleaning the tank walls for a while if that's something you normally do. The reason for that is both to avoid accidentally damaging small snails and to allow more food-growing surfaces for the snails to forage on to minimize starvation risk. 

Pretty much what i am doing right now. A few have died but there is still a lot of them left. Lets see how it goes and thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back