Axolotl Eggs!

Jenste

Resurrecting the Passion of Fishkeeping
Reaction score
Put my axolotl tank light on....and found eggs in my tank! I hadn't noticed my males spermatore but apparently my female had! They have only lived together for 3 days!!! I also didn't think they were old enough to breed - they are each under a year old but 7+ inches.
Surprise!

Now I am researching my booty off and going about trying to figure out how to set up a tank! I am only going to try rearing a handful of the eggs my first time....Let's wait and see if they are viable!
002-21.jpg

003-20.jpg

004-19.jpg

005-19.jpg

006-23.jpg

How exciting!
I used to look after an axolotl at school too many years ago, but he was fascinating & I still have a soft spot for them
Good luck, hope you get some to hatch

Thank you - being my first time attempting to raise axies, I separated out 10 eggs and discarded the rest.

Right now they are in a 10 gallon tank with an aerator with a very slow trickle. I read it can take a few weeks for the eggs to hatch....so lets keep our fingers crossed!!

I am quite excited! Hopefully a few of the eggs will be viable - this would be quite an adventure

It always happens when you least expect it, doesn't it :p You're entering breeding season now so I'd separate them for a while. She's pretty young for her body to go under the stresses of breeding once, let alone on an almost weekly basis. Make sure you hook out any grey eggs because they'll spread fungus onto the healthy ones. Do you have any idea of the genotypes of the parents? Then you can work out what colours you'll get :D

Unfortunately I have no idea of their genetic history - all I know is what I can see. A wild-type female and a golden albino male. It will be interesting to see if any of the eggs end up being viable.

And Dipsy - if these end up morphing I PROMISE to do a thread like I did for my frogs :hyper:

To be honest....I can't see a distinguishable change yet.

The ones I kept were all stuck on one piece of floating wisteria. The rest that I discarded were clinging to the decor.

One of the eggs went gray and fuzzy, I discarded it. The rest look...the same as when I took them out. :huh:

Sounds good that one has gone grey and fuzzy and the others haven't. Sounds like the rest are viable! What temp are the eggs at? Obviously the colder they are, the longer they'll take to hatch

Sounds good that one has gone grey and fuzzy and the others haven't. Sounds like the rest are viable! What temp are the eggs at? Obviously the colder they are, the longer they'll take to hatch

I have them at 65*f - this is what room temp gets the water too and I read that over 72* can have a negative impact on the eggs. I don't mind being patient....ok....well it is kind of killing me but I can bear it!

thanks Dipsy.....fingers are crossed - - next week will be the week where I'll know for sure.

I've never had a dud batch of eggs in the 7 years I've been breeding them. I reckon you'll have your hands full this time next week :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back