Axolotl Babies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
i have just rescued two axies from a lfs because the tank conditions where horendous (sorry about spelling)
justa quick question.how can you tell a male from female might be obvious but cant find out from the sites ive checked.i am just about to check the websites that you have stated in this thread so sorry if the answer is there or if you think this is a stupid question.
spike

Hmmm i am looking for a male as i have found a wild type female very close to me which i am collecting on thursday although she's fully grown and 3 years old so i doubt if they could be in the same tank untill he's grown on...i shall keep you posted as i will have a better idea of the situation on thursday :good:

i have just rescued two axies from a lfs because the tank conditions where horendous (sorry about spelling)
justa quick question.how can you tell a male from female might be obvious but cant find out from the sites ive checked.i am just about to check the websites that you have stated in this thread so sorry if the answer is there or if you think this is a stupid question.
spike

You can't sex them until they're about 1 year old Spike. The thing to do is look at their cloacal region, right behind their back legs and if it's swollen or prominant it's a male.

These pictures from http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm might help

Male cloaca
male_cloaca2.jpg

Female cloaca
female_cloaca.jpg

Hmmm i am looking for a male as i have found a wild type female very close to me which i am collecting on thursday although she's fully grown and 3 years old so i doubt if they could be in the same tank untill he's grown on...i shall keep you posted as i will have a better idea of the situation on thursday :good:

Great news Forest. knowing that you need a male, it's always worth checking out the classified section of caudata.org/forum , Try put a message in there saying you're looking to adopt a mature male if there are none needing re-homing..

BUMP

I still have some wild type babies left:

axiegroup1.jpg

axie2.jpg

axie1.jpg

These babies are 3 months old and are eating frozen bloodworm and the occasional tiny earthworm.

£4 each

Even though I keep my axolotl babies in very small groups I do have some imperfect specimens with missing limbs, feet or toes.
As you may know, these appendages will grow back in a few weeks.
If you require one of these, to be able to watch the regeneration, please ask.

COLLECTION ONLY

http://www.esotericbydesign.org/axolotls/axolotl.html

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back