Axolotl Babies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Will you be getting eggs from them again soon?

I will need to source a new tank etc for them, but i would really love some Axolotl's. I will keep an eye on your Ebay, but could you re-post a thread if/when you have some more available.

Please could you post again when you have more eggs from your olive wild-type?

I have 3 axolotls myself all around 12 months old and am looking for an olive green wild-type to join the group :)
Your axies are gorgeous and it's reassuring to know I'm not cramping up my guys - there's a lot of conflicting advice on the net about axolotls, but I keep mine in a 4ft tank with sand substrate, bogwood and silk plants and they eat earthworms. They certainly seem happy enough and smile all the time :lol:

VickiandKev, Thanks for the lovely comments. Your axies sound like mine, always smiling. They also seem to have a great environment and caring owners and that makes me smile. The eggs I have left are actually from my olive male and my golden albino female. The pictures I have of Mike in all his olive splendour were taken before I realised that axolotls don't like bright lights. I have much more subdued lighting now and I don't use a flash for pictures, the result is the picture you see above, looking a kind of greyish greeny black with coppery flecks from his iridophores. You only get to see his true colours close up I'm afraid.

Will you be getting eggs from them again soon?

I will need to source a new tank etc for them, but i would really love some Axolotl's. I will keep an eye on your Ebay, but could you re-post a thread if/when you have some more available.

Thanks for your interest aly starh. Sounds like you're doing things right, getting all their things together first. One of the things that worries me as a seller is that some people buy on impulse and they might not even have the bare necessities. Having said that, axolotl eggs don't take up much space and the only things you need for the hatchlings is one of those plastic containers you get takeaways in these days, a bottle of dechlorinator/dechloraminator, and a brine shrimp hatchery. After about 4 weeks you need to thin out the hatchlings into further containers and at about 10-12 weeks they will probably be best in 2's in a 2 litre tupperware/sandwich box. I wouldn't put them into a tank until they are about 3 inches long, that's going to be about 4 months down the line.

Regarding my axolotl's eggs. I would normally separate Mike from the females when one or more of them has laid eggs because it's not good for them to produce more too soon afterwards. However, from tomorrow I will have 4 more adult axolotls undergoing a 30 day quarantine and Mike's going to have to stay amongst his harem for the whole month. I will let you know if there are any developments.

I just need to speak with my partner and then I will probably place an order for a dozen of the wild-type eggs from Kylie and Mike, within a day or so that they are within their gestation before hatching.
I have shell-less artemia and technically I can just float a clear container in any of my tropical tanks with an airstone and some salt to hatch these so that should be sorted.

Just want to clear it with Kev as it will obviously be a joint commitment :)

Bump.... the largest wild type axolotls are now taking sinking pellets as well as bloodworm.

Hi i'm based up north in the yourkshire area and have been trying to get hold of some of these for a good while now, i prefer a male and female as i would love to start up a breeding programme for them in my area as they are like gold dust to come by :rolleyes: i would love a wild type as they carry all the colour genes.

How old are they and do you have any from seperate spawns as i dont want to in breed them. I work in an aquatics shop and have owned and cared for numerouse fish, reptiles and amphibians so am a trustworthy owner :)

Also are they the same price as they will be bigger now?

A home for the two would be a 30 gallon long aquarium alone.

Thanks in advance

Hi Forestpisces, a 30 gallon long will easilly accommodate 2 axolotls, it's recommended that each adult axolotl has 10 gallons of water.

Unfortunately it's not really possible to sex axolotls till they are between 10 and 14 months old.

As I'm sure you know, if they are to live together they really do need to be the same size or bullying will ensue.

The largest wild types I have all come from the same spawning and they measure between 60mm and 80mm. I only have half a dozen of these left and I'm after £5 each for them. Eating frozen bloodworm and occassional 3mm sinking pellets.

The 2nd spawning is from the same golden albino mother. I have perhaps 5 x 45mm-50mm wildtype from this spawning and some golden albino of comparable size. £4 each. Eating frozen bloodworm and have had some success with 3mm sinking pellets

Then there are 2 spawnings producing axolotls of comparable size from 2 different leucistic mothers. They are all between 7 and 8 weeks old and about 30-35mm in length. These are still feeding on freshly hatched brine shrimp, but they're still about 3 weeks off weaning onto frozen bloodworm. I'm only asking for £2 each for these. They are all showing wild type markings but some of them seem to be getting lighter and I'm beginning to wonder if they might be heavily speckled leucistics.

Closer to home, I know a girl from Sheffield who might have some axolotls ready to shift, though I have no idea what colours sher has. If you pm me your email address I will pass it on to her if this will help.

hi it's me again i've not had any replies from anyone about getting the axolotls :unsure: if there are any young still available then i would still love to own 2 of them i have a 20 gallon set up ready cycled and waiting maybe we could arrange to meet in the middle somewhere? or if not i'm sure i can find a way to get to you.

many thanks

Forest

hi it's me again i've not had any replies from anyone about getting the axolotls :unsure: if there are any young still available then i would still love to own 2 of them i have a 20 gallon set up ready cycled and waiting maybe we could arrange to meet in the middle somewhere? or if not i'm sure i can find a way to get to you.

many thanks

Forest
im also in the same situation

many thanks

Forest

im also in the same situation

Hi, I mistakenly thought I had an email alert set for when people reply to this thread and I apologise for not getting back sooner.

I sympathise with anyone that cannot find axolotls locally because I was in the same position myself a year ago. Purely by chance I found a couple of mature axolotls relatively close after weeks of searching... but for a while it looked like I was taking a trip to Derbyshire.

I have asked around a few friends that breed axolotls, in different parts of the country, but unfortunately nobody has babies ready to go right now... though one friend in sheffield had eggs laid this week.

I'm actually meeting 2 people from Stoke on Trent at Wigan North Western station tomorrow morning, maybe some similar arrangement might help? But that's about as far as I'm prepared to go sorry.

I have no golden albino babies left but I do have a few green, wild type ones.

I'm sorry if this isn't much help to you.

Ron.

thats fine a similar arrangement would be great i'm inhalifax west yorkshire whats the closest you could come and i could meet you there :good:

Also how many wild types do you have left and whats your asking price? again many thanks

Forest :D

Hi Forest,

I have several wild type available at around 60mm - 70mm in length and I'm asking £5 each for them.

I also have one left @ around 90mm that I'm only asking £6 for, but he can't go in the same tank as his siblings.

There are also a few at around 50mm in length and they are £4 each or 3 for £10.

They are all eating frozen bloodworm and the larger ones are taking the occasional 3mm sinking pellet.

I'm prepared to meet at Wigan train station if necessary.

Ron.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back