Australians Cook Up Wild Cat Stew

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Reaction score
"Australians have come up with a novel solution to the millions of feral cats roaming the outback - eat them.

The felines are the descendants of domestic pets and kill millions of small native animals each year.";

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6974687.stm

Meh...I don't really have a problem with it as long as the cats are killed in a humane manner. Some may argue that the australians shouldn't be eating the cats because they are intelligent, however, pigs are proven to be more intelligent than cats but we still eat them, so...I think its just a culture difference. And at least by eatint the cats, the australians will be supporting a good cause- australia has a really bad problem with non-native animals wiping out its native wildlife, if programs to eradicate non-native invasive animals which are killing off native wildlife can get more funding from people eating such animals like the wild cats, then i'm all for it as long as the moggies are killed in a humane manner :good: .

What do you think?

Interesting, although not something I'd think was that great and idea. There's the issues of disease, you have no idea about what they've been eating, and there's probably not that much meat on a cat anyway. And being feral, I'm not suprised it's tough. I'm also wondering how exactly you go about catching and killing feral cats...

ummmmm, hell no i ain't eatin' no cats!!!! (see siggy)
we don't even eat our feral pigs, we either use them for pet food or export them to germany at exhorbitant prices as a delicacy!
agreed on the feral animals problem, unfortunately many current killing methods are inhumane. As with most environmental problems here, we protest and hope things will improve (legislature /government wise), but as "the Man" doesn't listen to the people, we don't get very far.

If the ferral cat populations have to be kept down (as they do) then it makes more sence to put them to some kind of use than to simply destroy them and have done with it...

I fully agree, it saddens me how many "pest" animals are erradicated and just buried or burned instead of being put to a good use.

:huh: Hmmm I don't really think it is something that is going to take off in Australia. It sounds rather unappetising to me :blink: and as someone has already pointed out I think diseases that many stray cats harbour maybe an issue here.

I myself an am Australian, I live on the beautiful sunshine coast, in Queensland Australia, and this is the first I have heard of anyone eating stray cats lol :p

This is where I live this picture was taken from across the road of my street this beach is only a 1-2min walk from my front door. It is so relaxing hear the waves when you go to sleep at night

l_f4043d3fc5ec3d900a28725d70701704.jpg

:huh: Hmmm I don't really think it is something that is going to take off in Australia. It sounds rather unappetising to me :blink: and as someone has already pointed out I think diseases that many stray cats harbour maybe an issue here.

I myself an am Australian, I live on the beautiful sunshine coast, in Queensland Australia, and this is the first I have heard of anyone eating stray cats lol :p

This is where I live this picture was taken from across the road of my street this beach is only a 1-2min walk from my front door. It is so relaxing hear the waves when you go to sleep at night

l_f4043d3fc5ec3d900a28725d70701704.jpg
\
im in sydney and again .. first i ever heard of it ...

considering roo hasn't taken off... i dont think cat will ..

i say eat the pussies, i been some strange places on this planet and eaten far worse than cat. as far as im concerned if we can eat cows and lamb etc them anything can be eaten. one cat burger please hold the pickle :p

lol we dont eat cats lol BUT ROO!!! YUMMMMM!!!!

Really you like Roo? I heard it's tough ................ well I guess Aussies eat alot of different animals like emus, crocodile, kangaroo, grubs just to name a few so why not add Cat to the list :lol: However these sorts of meats are only consumed by a minority in Australia.

The majority of Australians mainly eat the norm ie. Beef, chicken, Lamb, veal.

P.S for all the non Aussies .... no we do not ride kangaroo's around :lol: (its amazing how many American's ask me that)

there are wild kangaroo's that live on campus grounds where I go to university but no one rides them thats for sure.

Narh roo might is rather nice i have had it a few times they sell it in most of the supermarkets down here
i got punched by a roo once damn they can pack a punch

i don't like the taste of roo, it is too red/gamey for me. The stepfather of one of my friends has an export company for roo meat, apparently it is huge overseas. The only downside to this is that when we were broke students sharing a house, it was the only meat we had regularly available ( cos it was free). Bleaghhh!

Narh roo might is rather nice i have had it a few times they sell it in most of the supermarkets down here
i got punched by a roo once damn they can pack a punch

yeah they are crazy I am too scared to go near any of the ones that live round the uni the males are massive and puff out their chests out at you .... man if they got a hold off you they would rip you to pieces.

Yeah i wouldn't want to get in a roo's way either, particularly a large male red kangaroo.
A friend of mine at school when i was a kid used to live in Australia, when she was at home (she lived in pretty much the middle of nowhere in australia, just scattered farming community really) she once left the back kitchen door open one day and a huge male red kangaroo found its way inside her kitchen! Apparently it went nuts and they had to call a lot of people over to deal with it and get it out, it caused a fair amount of damage.

Never tried eating kangaroo personally, wouldn't mind giving it a go though, although i've heard its a pretty tough meat.
I ate ostrich though once at an indian resturant, that was really good :drool: ! The meat is very soft and kinda tastes like lamb crossed with turkey :good: .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back