Auratus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emmuscat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone ,can someone please explain how to know the sex of the Malawi Auratus and what should be the size to know the sex.

Thanks in Advance

Maybe i can explian my problem. Today i went around to find if in our small island with about 8 fish shops, i found a shop that had an aquarium with about 20 Auratus ,hope i am writhing the fish name correct.

But both of us could not identify the males from the females ,i was planing to buy 4 of these fish but i wanted to buy 1 male and 3 females .

So i need some help how to choose the males from the females the fish were about 1and a quarter of an inch .

Thanks and hope someone can guide me

It's quite simple actually. Female Auratus are yellow, with the black stripes, and males are black with white stripes.

Hope this Helps :)

You can't sex them until they grow and the males change colors. The best way to achieve a good ratio is to get some extra juvi's and then weed out extra males as they surface.

The Males turn black and white almost like taking the female negative of a picture. They all look the same when they are born, like females. Your best bet is buying 6 or so and take one male and get rid of the others....
Freddy I have a question.. Are the males mature enough to mate as soon as they turn black or is there still some time and maturing before that. I have 1 male and 3 females. The male is small but he has turned but i still have seen no babies. Can you give me some ideal conditions to start the breeding process?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back