At my wits end - both Bettas are sick, I don't know what, and nothing seems to be treating them

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

For @Emilue look at the lesion only. Nothing else can really be spotted without a lab. But I have seen a few tb lesions on Bettas over the years, quite a few. It's a reason why people who 'rescue' sick looking Bettas are taking a risk.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but injecting garlic and honey to reach the infection sites? I would still have Myco, and it wasn't pleasant. There are many antibacterial products that are very hard to administer in effective doses. They kill bacteria in petrie dishes, but in living organisms, dosages and and delivery matter. Pet food manufacturers throw a little garlic powder in fish food to satisfy a gullible market, but the jury is out on effectiveness. Maybe in the future, it'll be something we learn to use. A lot of honey and garlic eating people died from human TB before antibiotics were discovered.

Dark honey and tzaziki filled wraps keep me alive! I'm sweet, but some days after lunch my breath could slay a dragon. They didn't inhibit Myco in this complex organism, or I'd have no story to tell.

All Natural Pet Foods make their money on some questionable products. If you are tempted to follow their advice, and do things like putting olive oil in your tank, read the entire article, including the warnings.

I wouldn't use any of those specially olive oil...as for garlic in store fish food...it doesn't work because once extracted it has a shelf life...
so a company selling fish food with garlic claiming it to treat diseases is just snake oil ^^

I wouldn't use any of those specially olive oil...as for garlic in store fish food...it doesn't work because once extracted it has a shelf life...
so a company selling fish food with garlic claiming it to treat diseases is just snake oil ^^
Snake oil or olive oil...

Garlic fish foods were big in the 80s. Jack Wattley, the Discus guru back then, marketed them hard. I remember the ads. I bought some once, but the fish wouldn't eat it. Garlic foods seemed to fall out of fashion for a long time, but now are making a comeback.

Snake oil or olive oil...

Garlic fish foods were big in the 80s. Jack Wattley, the Discus guru back then, marketed them hard. I remember the ads. I bought some once, but the fish wouldn't eat it. Garlic foods seemed to fall out of fashion for a long time, but now are making a comeback.
as it's explained in all studies...only the extract works and only lasts a few days even when kept cool and capped as the medicinal properties just lose their effect (even worst when refrigerated)
as the extract will just turn into a liquid/paste
so actually putting garlic in fish foods it can work if your fish aren't eating but as far as medicinal...nothing there as their shelf life has past way before they even got to the store...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back