Assassin snails bumblebee

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi

As I have way too many snails in the aquarium I have bought a bumblebee assassin snail and I am wondering if it just lives in the water or will it crawl out of the tank?
I've never experienced one crawling out.
I'm not sure of the name Bumblebee assassin snails, though. I wonder if it's the same as mine. Maybe post a picture just to make sure were discussing the same snail.
Also they do breed and can sneak up on you so I have learned just one per tank where I don't keep other snails.
Perhaps you could put a top on?

I sort of think if you can’t accept the advice you’ve been given so far all I can do is wish you luck and be hopeful that you will have a back up plan when things do start to go down hill

Well I am only looking for fish that can live in a gallon..

Well I am only looking for fish that can live in a gallon..

But the advice has been that its not really a viable option. What about getting upto 5 gallons and finding some really interesting fish to keep in there? Clown Killi Fish, Thai Micro Crabs, Dwarf Anchor Catfish, Badis/Darios, Micro Rasboras, Small Gobies, Small Gourami, wild type Betas.

I understand that you want to something 'different' but I dont think putting a common fish in a one gallon tank is that 'different' where as finding a good sized small tank and then finding rare and unusual fish that will thrive in that environment that you can create.

You can still do little to no equipment in the tank (have a look at the Walstad method) and maintenance is pretty much the same just slightly more jugs of water or seconds longer with a syphon at the water change?

Wills

You still haven't shared which five species you said Rachel recommended. Was that untrue?

It wasn't untrue, it was listed in a file on my computer at the time, I wrote them into a note about 4 months ago. Surprised to hear if it is not possible to have fish in a one gallon aquarium, as I said before, shops are filled with thousands...

It wasn't untrue, it was listed in a file on my computer at the time, I wrote them into a note about 4 months ago. Surprised to hear if it is not possible to have fish in a one gallon aquarium, as I said before, shops are filled with thousands...
Its not impossible, they just won't thrive.

'It is inhumane to deprive any animal of an element it regards as critical to its well-being, and totally naive to expect normal behavior in its absence. [Dr. Paul Loiselle]'

I'm sorry if we come across a bit soft on here, but we are here to provide the best for aquatic animals, not to advise on whether a fish would fit in a decorative vase

Fish are in smaller tanks in pet stores as it isn't permanent. I really feel you're missing the point intentionally at this stage. Short answer to your question is that no fish can live in vase. I don't know how after so many contributors giving you information you still can't understand that

Its not impossible, they just won't thrive.

'It is inhumane to deprive any animal of an element it regards as critical to its well-being, and totally naive to expect normal behavior in its absence. [Dr. Paul Loiselle]'

I'm sorry if we come across a bit soft on here, but we are here to provide the best for aquatic animals, not to advise on whether a fish would fit in a decorative vase

Well if I can't find a fish that would be good in one gallon I might forget about the fish idea, I was hoping to essentially make a long line of planted aquariums and taking on fish stock would be problematic, so it would on;y be one with a creature in it, though it would have been nice to have something in the glass drinks dispenser as a living inhabitant.

Well if I can't find a fish that would be good in one gallon I might forget about the fish idea, I was hoping to essentially make a long line of planted aquariums and taking on fish stock would be problematic, so it would on;y be one with a creature in it, though it would have been nice to have something in the glass drinks dispenser as a living inhabitant.
I use a water dispenser bottle to do water changes, its 18.5l (just under 5 gallons) .. something like this
Screenshot_20200921_201418.jpg

Admittedly not incredibly aesthetically pleasing but, couldnt you therefore look at a larger scale for the same project?

I use a water dispenser bottle to do water changes, its 18.5l (just under 5 gallons) .. something like this
View attachment 117242
Admittedly not incredibly aesthetically pleasing but, couldnt you therefore look at a larger scale for the same project?

The inspiration for the channel came from the fact I liked the look of aquariums however I didn't have lots of space to put them into, thus finding smaller unusual looking glassware to make them out of became the goal... Not everybody has space, sure I could easily buy some 10,000 gallon aquarium, but where would I put it? I didn't want to have these small nano tanks halve the size of mine, I wanted to have a creative side to the channel and make nice looking talkative pieces. It just would be good to have something more interesting than a snail in it. I'd like thai micro crabs as they look interesting but they require heating from what I can read. I am very environmentally friendly conscious so I do not want to create a heated tank.

When I was a kid, I desperately wanted a horse. I remember trying to persuade my dad that it could live in the shed and graze in the back garden.

When you're a kid, you don't understand the realities of actually keeping an animal in the kind of space they need. but as adults, usually the welfare of the animal overrides our own selfish desires.

If someone doesn't have space for even a five gallon tank, they have no real business keeping fish. Most people who are environmentally conscious also have compassion for living things and don't want to keep something like a fish in a vodka bottle except for idiot tiktok teens. You can do a lot with unusual shaping tanks and real nano tanks of five gallons or more that still don't take a lot of space, or inverts with ones even smaller, but doing something cruel isn't justified by "because I want to" or "other people are cruel too!!"

But clearly, you're going to do what you want, and teach other people to do it too. Don't be surprised when people copy you and shove goldfish and guppies and blood parrots into tiny jugs as well though. You still haven't shared this supposed list from Rachel O'Leary, so I'm doubtful that it's real. And since you're clearly going to do what you want and don't care about the welfare or lifespan of the animals you're putting through this, clearly we're wasting our time trying to get through to you. I'm done.

When I was a kid, I desperately wanted a horse. I remember trying to persuade my dad that it could live in the shed and graze in the back garden.

When you're a kid, you don't understand the realities of actually keeping an animal in the kind of space they need. but as adults, usually the welfare of the animal overrides our own selfish desires.

If someone doesn't have space for even a five gallon tank, they have no real business keeping fish. Most people who are environmentally conscious also have compassion for living things and don't want to keep something like a fish in a vodka bottle except for idiot tiktok teens. You can do a lot with unusual shaping tanks and real nano tanks of five gallons or more that still don't take a lot of space, or inverts with ones even smaller, but doing something cruel isn't justified by "because I want to" or "other people are cruel too!!"

But clearly, you're going to do what you want, and teach other people to do it too. Don't be surprised when people copy you and shove goldfish and guppies and blood parrots into tiny jugs as well though. You still haven't shared this supposed list from Rachel O'Leary, so I'm doubtful that it's real. And since you're clearly going to do what you want and don't care about the welfare or lifespan of the animals you're putting through this, clearly we're wasting our time trying to get through to you. I'm done.

I don't have access to the list of fish she gave at present on My hdd besides what was on her channel comments but seeing as that was months ago I'd rather just refer you and others here to a simple Google search for the search string fish for one gallon tanks...

I do care about the welfare of any animals in would buy which is why I have stated twice or more I'd only get ones for a one gallon tank. I don't see any unprofessional behaviour in O-Leary at all and she seems to be a well respected member of YouTube fish keeping circles. She has tanks she has run for years so she clearly looks like she knows how to keep fish.

We had a cat that died after an illness with heart problems, and another with a illness we didn't even know was wrong. Doesn't mean we didn't give it a great environment to live in with good food from Whiskers. We had a cat live to 20 and a dog die of old age too. Some animals just die early, and people do too.

I don't have access to the list of fish she gave at present on My hdd besides what was on her channel comments but seeing as that was months ago I'd rather just refer you and others here to a simple Google search for the search string fish for one gallon tanks...

I do care about the welfare of any animals in would buy which is why I have stated twice or more I'd only get ones for a one gallon tank. I don't see any unprofessional behaviour in O-Leary at all and she seems to be a well respected member of YouTube fish keeping circles. She has tanks she has run for years so she clearly looks like she knows how to keep fish.

We had a cat that died after an illness with heart problems, and another with a illness we didn't even know was wrong. Doesn't mean we didn't give it a great environment to live in with good food from Whiskers. We had a cat live to 20 and a dog die of old age too. Some animals just die early, and people do too.
LMAO did you even read that pile of rubbish blog post you sent to me?

Their list, for a ONE gallon bowl;
A betta
Three to four guppies
White cloud mountain minnows, two to three of em
Tetra, three or four
A goldfish, of course.

All of that sounds okay and humane to you, right?

LMAO did you even read that pile of rubbish blog post you sent to me?

Their list, for a ONE gallon bowl;
A betta
Three to four guppies
White cloud mountain minnows, two to three of em
Tetra, three or four
A goldfish, of course.

All of that sounds okay and humane to you, right?

There's no need for rudeness, it is clear people have differing opinions on how to keep fish. It seems it all depends on who taught them what when they were learning.

Google search string with quote marks so sentence exactly is what is searched for:

"fish for a one gallon tank"
About 32,100,000 results (0.84 seconds) (wow that's fast)

"fish for a one 1 gallon tank"
About 28,700,000 results (0.90 seconds)

I personally don't think its right that fish sores put in 30 plus fish into a two gallon tank but they have been doing that for decades.

Most reactions

Back