Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Assassin Snails And Plants

Discussion in 'Shrimps & Other Invertebrates' started by GrayScale, Jan 18, 2011.

1. GrayScale

GrayScale Member

Will assassin snails eat live plants? I'm starting to get a grossly large population of pond snails that I'd like to take care of with the assassin snails but I will look into an alternative if they eat my plants. I do have watersprite and I know snails love it.

2. ian

ian plant your tank
    Retired Moderator

In a word, 'no'. IME they are a must in a planted tank. Contrary to rumour they don't breed like wild fire. When they do evetually breed, you can always sell them on. Everyones a winner. :good: (apart from the pest snails)

3. kiriyama

kiriyama Member

They won't eat your plants, I am selling some assassin snails at the moment, PM me if you're interested :good:

4. GrayScale

GrayScale Member

Thanks for the info.

I saw your post in the classifieds. I'm in the US so that would be some pricey shipping to get them across the pond! :p

I was thinking about getting 1 or 2 for my 10g and maybe 2 or 3 for my 20 long.

5. saltynay

saltynay Patron

Sounds good grayscale have you got a colony of "pest snails" to keep them fed? If not I would add some but then again I actually like many of the species that people call pest snails....

6. GrayScale

GrayScale Member

My 10g breeder is overrun with pest snails and my main 20g tank has started to get them but I don't know how they got there. I just don't want the pest snail to start munchin on all my watersprite in my display. I remove them by hand when I see them from my display but man those things hatch, grow, and breed super fast haha.