Artificial Rocks For Cichlids

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
Ok, so a few will know that I am starting a third tank which, like the others is upstairs :crazy: I am looking to put in Kribs or Severums on Rams even. (More of that in a sererate post later near the end of the cycling)

Anyway, I would like the 'ocean rock' look but REALLY can't afford the WEIGHT :no: so I have been looking into the artificial stuff in the LFS's. Along with black sand there just isn't any :huh:

So, as I mentioned in another thread, I have gone for black gravel (it goes in tonight)

Now then, I stumbled accross this stuff :D On paper it looks ideal (although someone on here is bound to have tried it and will say it's c**p)
Anyways, before anyone bursts my bubble I have ordered 6 bits and at £60 all in I don't reckon it's too bad when you look at stuff in the LFS.
So, incase anyone else is in my position (with tank weight I mean! ;) ) it just might be worth a look? I will be posting photos once it's here........maybe :blush:

Right, here's the site (hope it works) http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/decorat...cial_rock/40952
 
Hi Doresy
from the pics it doesn't look that bad at all,

If your going for the ocean theme then i would personally be considering african cichlids, (I know you said more of that later but i can't help myself :rolleyes: )
(Rams do really appreciate a planted setup, and I couldn't see Severums in that setup either, just would look odd to me, Also theres the size difference, a pari of rams would be fine in a 20G where you would need something like a 80G for a pair of Sevs)

I think that Tanganyikan species would look very authentic in that setup
 
Afternoon - Ive seen that stuff in the shop but thought the edges would be a bit on the sharp side..

They seem to basically be made from expanded concrete type material. They are full of holes which is why they are lighter than solid stone.

I can see them being good, but the rough holey surface would soon be algae-i-fied in my tank and look truely awful.

Could you get to a shop and have a look for yourself? You might decide they're perfect for you.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a fibreglass fake rock.
 
Afternoon - Ive seen that stuff in the shop but thought the edges would be a bit on the sharp side..

They seem to basically be made from expanded concrete type material. They are full of holes which is why they are lighter than solid stone.

I can see them being good, but the rough holey surface would soon be algae-i-fied in my tank and look truely awful.

Could you get to a shop and have a look for yourself? You might decide they're perfect for you.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a fibreglass fake rock.


You obviously missed this part :rolleyes:

Decorative Rock Combo Moon Large
Nature-true artificial rock made of Polyrin.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top