Article: How I Accidently Removed 100% Of Pest Snails!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

toc

Reaction score
Hi All,
I just wanted to share my findings as I went through countless articles over years attempting to remove a small snail from my tank, none of the methods removed them in totality just helped control them to varying degrees.

Prevention is the best option:
However you're probably reading this as you have snails already, and that doesn't help you now.
We obtained our wonderful snails through some moss which we brought from a very well respected fish shop in Oxford it was a shame they couldn't have advised us that surprise snails came with it free of charge, needless to say we've never used them since.

The usual suggested methods: We went through... ( for those that haven't tried these yet )

Assassin snails: Personally this made no impact, Even if they did choose to eat the snails which they didn't as they preferred other food! the amount of snails each could possibly consume would never out number the rate at which the small pest snail could reproduce.

Clown Loach: Again as with the above, you may need several to make any kind of dent and although they "May" could help control the pest you may not have the option to add additional fish or even want any new tank mates.

Lettuce / Lure / Trap: This basically requires temping the snails onto food then removing the food and snails attached, This may help control but if you're having to do this regularly then not only does it become time consuming and relentless, It shows you're not actually getting any where fast! I would be amazed at the odds of removing all the snails with this method.

Snail Poison: I've read contradicting reports about the results of this, Plus is poisoning your tank something you want to do ? Ive never done it.

Full Clean Out: This is very time consuming, We have done this and yet some manage to survive some where, We emptied the tank replaced the gravel, microwaved the logs and tank ornaments, dried off the plants rinsed them checking for snails and still some where eggs or snails managed to get through.

Others: I'm sure there were other methods and all failing like the above.

My Accidental Method with 100% success:
Firstly I am telling you what happened not what to do! If you decide to attempt any of this it will be at your own risk.

As it is classed as experimental ( theres no hard facts, figures, tests or trials) it would require you to do more research on you're own aquarium set up and have a greater understanding of what you're aquarium can withstand.

I don't mean to talk down to anyone you probably know more about fish keeping than me I just want to share what happened.

Right on to what you've been waiting for, if you skipped the above please understand the disclaimer.
We went on holiday for a month in November(this is relevant) and my dad would pop in and feed the fish however for those that don't know November in the UK is cold, Our central heating went wrong and off.. my dads didn't know if it should have been on or not, The temp outside went from 7c to -3c over a 4 week period up to December, I'm unsure of the indoor temp over this time but when we got back it was around 8c indoors and -3c outside! The heater in the tank was struggling to warm the water and the water was 17c (should be 24c) the air temp was 8c at this lowest point, if this fluctuated to the warmest 7c outside air then possibly the tank could have reached 24c slowly reducing to 17c or lower over the 4 weeks, I immediately got the central heating going and the tank temp got back up to usual 24c over the next 24hrs, All the tank mates were fine, lots of Endlers, lots of Platties, 3x Bristle nose cat fish, and 3x coolie loachies.. But what I realized over the next few days there were no snails not 1!!!!!!!! - I found shells in the filter and gravel but nothing!!! the tank was and still (8 weeks later) 100% clear of snails.

So dropping the temp over a long period was enough to kill the snails but keep the fish, I don't have any other figures or any other snails to try now (thankfully) but maybe experiment with some in the jar and see how well they do for how long, at what temps, sounds pretty grim but I just wish someone had suggested this method to me I am sure it will catch on if its not been done before, I searched the net and couldn't see an article suggesting this so here it is.

I hope this helps someone, let me know your findings and if you have some maybe we could get some real test results.

Its easier than the other methods and doesn't require poisoning you're lovely animals.

Good luck snail busters.

Richard (toc)
winner.gif

I'm guessing it might depend on the species of snail, I know that I have common pond snails in my frozen pond outside right now.  They have survived several winters and they'll still be there come spring.

Your pond snails aren't tropical. 
wink.png

Of cause depends on species, some species would require lower temps than other some the same.

First, Congrats on your snail issue being solved.  What species of snails were you plagued by?

Second, I wouldn't condemn the LFS that sold you the moss that contained the snails in the first place.  Snails and plants are pretty synonymous.  No sense getting perturbed about it.  Did they claim that the plants were snail-free?  If they did, then perhaps you have something you should talk to them about, but if not, then you shouldn't really be surprised.  I joke with my wife when I see "Snail - Free" on the package of some plants that it doesn't mean no snails, but merely no charge for the snail.

Third, I had snails with my tank when I first introduced natural plants - but the addition of a BN pleco fixed that for me (interesting side effect, I just thought that he would fit in, and I like the way he looks!).  I don't know if he ate the snails, the eggs, or just outcompeted them for the bits of algae in the tank, but one week after adding him, I had no more noticable snails.  Generally, if the snails are too numerous, it is a direct result of overfeeding.  If your feeding is not over the top, then the snails have no food and can't/won't reproduce as wildly.  Perhaps the issue with the snails was not the cold temperatures, as much as a decreased food supply.  Perhaps algae in the tank was the issue and the rate of algae growth diminished with lower temps, or less light - or some combination.   There are a lot of variables here, not just the temp - although it would be some interesting stuff to research.

Your pond snails aren't tropical.

No but they are a species commonly found in tropical tanks.  Do you have pictures of your snails, or can tell us what species they were?

eaglesaquarium said:
First, Congrats on your snail issue being solved.  What species of snails were you plagued by?

Tiny little little round ones, not sure of the latin or common names, I searched before but they weren't pointed like ram horns or large like apples.

Perhaps the issue with the snails was not the cold temperatures, as much as a decreased food supply. Perhaps algae in the tank was the issue and the rate of algae growth diminished with lower temps, or less light - or some combination. 

The only real significant change to the tank was the temp, My dad fed the same rate as I showed him, they were kept in the same artificial light with a timer as they are kept in my office the lights where on the same as I would have them on if I where here, Theres been no noticeable algae in the tank or at least no change in that regard, either.

The article wasn't meant for speculation but further experimentation, for others to publish further results.

Interesting that you managed to accidentially get rid of your snails, I do suspect that it was a combination of reduced available food from the BN being added and the greatly reduced temp of the tank.

I have snails that I would love to be rid of but, some how they always find a way to survive, and my tanks often get cooler than 17 degrees C in winter, but then I try (heat waves permitting) to run my tanks at 22 degrees.

So now in various tanks I have multi pronged attacks aimed at the snails, its not getting rid of them completely but it is containing and managing them. My snail management involves some Pakastani loaches, dwarf chain loaches, removing snails manually (by hand or when I do tank cleans etc and scrap the snails off the timber and structures in the tank), as well as introducing bigger snails that I want which can out compete the pest snails. Some Australian shrimp species will also eat snails, but these guys aren't always fish friendly.

daizeUK said:
Have a look in this thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/75554-snail-species/ and see if you recognise your critters.

Closest looking to the second one down "Family Planorbidae" in color but it largest ones were about 3mm.

Baccus said:
combination of reduced available food from the BN being added

BN weren't added they were in the tank before the snails came, 4-5 yrs, the snails have been in there 2.5- 3yrs.

If I had thought about it I would have tried this myself, as I no longer have snails I cant experiment, If you have issues with snails try putting some in jars and note any temperature affect.

I cant guarantee 17c was the lowest temp the tank saw over the 4 week period that was the temp it was at when we got back.

Regarding food my dad fed them far more food than we do when we are here!!

toc said:
We obtained our wonderful snails through some moss which we brought from a very well respected fish shop in Oxford it was a shame they couldn't have advised us that surprise snails came with it free of charge, needless to say we've never used them since.
You will soon run out of fish shops to buy from if you adopt that attitude.

toc said:
Assassin snails: Personally this made no impact, Even if they did choose to eat the snails which they didn't as they preferred other food! the amount of snails each could possibly consume would never out number the rate at which the small pest snail could reproduce.
If they preferred other food, it's because there's too much other food available to them. Pest snails reproduce kinda in proportion to the amount of food there is. This food that the assassins preferred and that the pest snails reproduce in proportion with is the food you feed your fish. I'm assuming your fish aren't dying of starvation. So the amount of food you are feeding your fish is enough to satisfy the fish, and to be plentiful enough for the assassins and pest snails to devour. Can you see where I'm leading here?

toc said:
Regarding food my dad fed them far more food than we do when we are here!!
Which food do you use? I'm going to buy some shares in them, the amount of food you must be buying from them means they must be a very sound investment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back