Arghhhh stocking error with WCMM

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Yesterday evening I picked up 10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows for my 127L/34G tank. I have just been so frickin focused on ph/gh challenge with stocking my tank that it never occurred to me to check temp. This morning I was reading up on the WCMM care guide & see they need Max 22 degrees Celsius.

Tank mates are Cherry Barb & Bronze Cory & tank is currently set at 24.5 degrees.

Do I:

Return WCMM :(

Keep until I can move in my 58L tank & keep that at lower temp. I can do that as soon as I can rehome my platy fry.

Keep in the 127L at a lower temp that Cherry Barb & Bronze Corydoras are ok with. (Simply fish but both their range as starting at 20 & 21 but i know the advice here is keep at 24/25).

I know @ClownLurch had some before. I'd love to keep in the big tank as they are a nice group occupying more of the top than other fish do. If they went in the smaller tank I could look at adding another small group of nano fish with them in there.

I suppose I could move fry to bigger tank and do swap sooner. Arghhhh I spent ages last night watching them swim together and really don't want to return them :'(

(Edited typos and errors)

Attachments

• PXL_20201016_170153529.jpg
    PXL_20201016_170153529.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20201016_170154536.jpg
    PXL_20201016_170154536.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20201016_170128668.jpg
    PXL_20201016_170128668.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 48
Also one has bendy spine :/

And I got a snail for my small tank. €4! Jeebus.

Attachments

• PXL_20201016_160320875.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201016_160320875.MP.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20201016_160323525.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201016_160323525.MP.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20201016_160330475.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201016_160330475.MP.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20201016_160622230.jpg
    PXL_20201016_160622230.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 50
I'd keep them at 21c.. its what I keep my cories and barbs at. Problem comes if/when looking to add fish in the future as options are limited in the sub-tropical realm

I'd keep them at 21c.. its what I keep my cories and barbs at. Problem comes if/when looking to add fish in the future as options are limited in the sub-tropical realm

21 would suit everyone currently then. In terms of other stock my loose plan was an Albino Bristlenose Pleco and one other group like zebra danio but I'm not fixed on that.

I would also happily boost up the WCMM numbers.

Do you've other tank mates in with your barbs & cories?

Zebra danios would be fine at 21C as well - they are also temperate fish. But bristlenoses might need it a bit warmer.

Keep until I can move in my 58L tank & keep that at lower temp
If you decided to do this, I would not put zebra danios in this tank as they need a surprisingly long tank because of their swimming habits.

They will be fine for a few months. In the wild the water they live in drops down to 5C in winter and goes up to the low to mid 20s in summer.

Here in Australia they live in 5C over winter outside in ponds and in summer the water goes up to 30C.

If you want to give them a cooling off period over winter, just set up an unheated tank for them. Leave them in it and in spring when the weather warms up, they will breed.

Most barbs and cories can live at 18C for a few months over winter. I used to keep all my aquarium heaters on 18C and that is how cold they got in winter. In summer the water got up to 30-32C.

-------------
The white clouds would have been bred in tropical Asia and will be fine with warmer water.

Zebra danios would be fine at 21C as well - they are also temperate fish. But bristlenoses might need it a bit warmer.

If you decided to do this, I would not put zebra danios in this tank as they need a surprisingly long tank because of their swimming habits.

Bristlenose is as 21 degrees minimum so same as the Cories.

I'll have to rethink the plan for two tanks but the zebra Danios would only go in big one. Bristlenose could go in the 60cm x 30cm tank though I'd prefer they'd more room.

But good news is I can keep my WCMM and once I off load the fry I can plan things a bit better.

Err long story haha, the barbs and cories used to be together until the cories started getting nipped. So i have them in seperate tanks now, both at 21c. No, no other fish as of yet

Oh no! Do you've cherry barbs? Mine seem to ignore the Cories. I have 6 bronze cories & thinking about adding more. They're really so much fun to watch!

Oh no! Do you've cherry barbs? Mine seem to ignore the Cories. I have 6 bronze cories & thinking about adding more. They're really so much fun to watch!
Odessas, but think my problem is that they're all male. Yeh, love corydoras, can't get enough of em

21 would suit everyone currently then. In terms of other stock my loose plan was an Albino Bristlenose Pleco and one other group like zebra danio but I'm not fixed on that.

I would also happily boost up the WCMM numbers.
They’ll be ok at that. They’re used to varying temps in the wild. Keep an eye out for long fin WCMM. They’re more spectacular. I’ve just picked some up today, been looking since i decided to get back into fish at Xmas-NY. They’re currently charging around quarantine tank like mad things. I’m gonna boost numbers to 10-12 hopefully.

They’ll be ok at that. They’re used to varying temps in the wild. Keep an eye out for long fin WCMM. They’re more spectacular. I’ve just picked some up today, been looking since i decided to get back into fish at Xmas-NY. They’re currently charging around quarantine tank like mad things. I’m gonna boost numbers to 10-12 hopefully.

There's longfin gold ones in one Aquarium but with restrictions I can't get there & delivery is €26! I might ask one of the shops here if they can get longfin. I just want one more small group to finish the tank. Keeping very muted colours so far the cherry barbs, WCMM & cories all blend in and it looks great.

I read somewhere that gold long fins don’t reproduce. Dunno how true it is though or why. Both gold and LFs are engineered fish. Maybe two artificial traits are one too far?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back