Argh, Algae Infested Water.

kevinthecow

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
657
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Well yeah, first time I HAD to do a 100%. it spiked too fast, it was bad green.
October-18-08027.jpg


--immediate 100%.
(this was back in october,)

Then, I had it again, except a little better than before.
November-15-08054.jpg


November? yeah.
- another 100% in around december, 70% per few days weren't working. ):

k, so now its Feb.
I was careless, and missed a week's cleaning. (too much stress at school, oh man my report cards are coming soon :X)
Now, my tank's a little lighter than the one in november.
On the left of my tank is a wall, on the right is a window, but at least 3 to five metres away.
Should I cover up the right side of my tank with like a cardboard to cover the direct sunlight?

(tank lights are on during night, so 10:00 PM -- 8 - 9:00 AM)
 
If you don't have any live plants in the tank, then only have the lights on for a couple of hours a day, usually in the evening when you are home to watch the fish. Covering the side of the tank might help but I doubt it due to the distance between the window and tank.
Adding a block of foam or filter floss/ wool to the filter will help to trap the algae and remove it from the water. Take the filter wool out every few days and wash it down under the tap. Then put it back in the filter. Once the water clears up you can clean it less often.
Putting some Daphnia in a breeding net in the tank, will sometimes help clear up the green water and give you some live daphnia to feed the fish.
Adding some fast growing plants like Ambulia, Hygrophilla polysperma, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides) and Narrow Vallis should help as well. If you add live plants then make sure they get 8-12hours of light per day and don't cover the side.
 
Best thing i have found for algae is Armano Shrimp, i had quite bad algae and 4 shrimp cleared my tank of it within a week. Although they need to be in fully cycled tanks and arnt compatible with some fish.

I would add some filter wool and cover the side to see if that helps.
 
Amano shrimp have no ability to eat algae in the water.

My suggestion for hasty removal of the algae is to get a freshwater clam/mussel. It will feed on the algae and clear it up rather quickly. The only thing is that you should bring it back to the store afterwords as it will starve with no further food source.

You can do something similar with daphnia in a breeding net, and then you can feed them to your fish. :good:

Of course, if you don't eliminate the cause of the algal blooms you'll just end up with another one before too long.
 
I also suggest the use of a UV sterilizer. While it won't remove the already present algae, it will stunt and kill the free floating spores rendering them unable to reproduce. I use them on almost all of my FW tanks, and never have algae problems.
 
3rd vote for UV...

don't believe me, convince yourself:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=169325
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=174876

You can get 3 types of UV sterilizer
external / in-line
hang-ons
ones that go inside moderately sized internal filters.
Check here for more info on UV: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article....423&aid=440

You may also consider tackling the root cause: See also this excellent site for pictures, causes & prevention:
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Green Water
Classic ‘Algae Blooms’: While a green water algae bloom is not in itself toxic to fish, it does consume oxygen in the water. Therefore you must make certain aeration is maintained with a bubbler or airstone, or top surface agitation until the bloom clears.

Cause:
Raised levels of Ammonia – Is the tank fully cycled, overstocked or has the filter media been changed recently?

Treatment:
Reduce the lighting 8 to 10 hrs max / day. Water changes on the whole are ineffective & a waste of time.
Add Daphinia to the tank as they will eat this.
Diatomic filters have a some effect.
U.V.
 
Green water algae is not a problem for fish, it is a tonic. It is a problem for people wanting to see fish. Personally, I would have welcomed some when I kept daphnia. A daphnia culture will quickly remove all green water algae, as I found out while trying to keep my culture going.
 
While it is not toxic in itself, there are other ways it can be harmful. Also, unless you are keeping species that feed on green algae, it is not beneficial and should be removed.
 
Amano shrimp have no ability to eat algae in the water.

My suggestion for hasty removal of the algae is to get a freshwater clam/mussel. It will feed on the algae and clear it up rather quickly. The only thing is that you should bring it back to the store afterwords as it will starve with no further food source.

You can do something similar with daphnia in a breeding net, and then you can feed them to your fish. :good:

Of course, if you don't eliminate the cause of the algal blooms you'll just end up with another one before too long.

Freshwater clam/mussel? My LFS sells some, should I buy it? :) I'll try, but could someone find me some dirt off of some freshwater clams/mussels? :)

I'll try to see if I can get a UV sterilizer (SP?) How much are they? Do you just stick them into your tank, like a heater and plug it in? (or am I confusing a UV with something else. ):)
 
Uv sterilizers are not cheap. There are cheap internal versions on the market (the green machine, or whatever its called) but they're crap. You will want a good external uv filter such as an aquastep or turbo twist. I personally use t turbo twist models on most of my tanks.
You set it up externally or alternatively as a HOB. It will be powered by a small, slow flowing pump or powerhead in your tank.
 
Uv sterilizers are not cheap. There are cheap internal versions on the market (the green machine, or whatever its called) but they're crap. You will want a good external uv filter such as an aquastep or turbo twist. I personally use t turbo twist models on most of my tanks.
You set it up externally or alternatively as a HOB. It will be powered by a small, slow flowing pump or powerhead in your tank.

Alright, I'll keep my eye out.
What about the clam/mussel?
 
Uv sterilizers are not cheap. There are cheap internal versions on the market (the green machine, or whatever its called) but they're crap. You will want a good external uv filter such as an aquastep or turbo twist. I personally use t turbo twist models on most of my tanks.
You set it up externally or alternatively as a HOB. It will be powered by a small, slow flowing pump or powerhead in your tank.

Alright, I'll keep my eye out.
What about the clam/mussel?
why not diagnose the problem first? before resulting to expensive methods? is your tank getting alot of sun light?
 
It could be that the direct sunlight from the end of the tank is causing the problem. You can try covering that end. Also new tanks are prone to green water as the diatoms feed on the silica released from the substrate and from the silicone that seals the joints of the tank. Since you've had the problem 3 times now, I would think the direct sunlight may be the problem.

UV sterilizers definitely work. Underwurlde has already posted 2 links and below is another of the second tank I used mine on. The first one I didn't photograph and document but it cleared it (my 75 gallon) in 3 days from so green I couldn't see the driftwood which is less than 4" from the from of the tank to crystal clear. They will run you about a $100 but if you have the direct sunlight issue, it may be well worth it.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=95371
 

Most reactions

Back
Top