Are we being conned?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My main consideration is to see if the test kit liquids are the same freshwater to marine.
They are, but you’ll have to find a marine comparison sheet, because the liquid will turn different colors with the saltwater. I did this for a while until I got my saltwater test kit.

You can the freshwater API test for saltwater, but you’ll need this sheet:
431F7865-D5F5-4F9D-A041-BB50427C1994.jpeg

If you have the funds, I would get the saltwater master kit, just to be 100% safe. No necessary, but recommended.

think @PheonixKingZ went through something similar when he was setting up a marine tank and tried different test kits. I can't remember what he ended up using for test kits.
A mixture of API and Salifert. (Salifert being the most expensive because each element kit is around $15, but they are incredibly accurate.

They are, but you’ll have to find a marine comparison sheet, because the liquid will turn different colors with the saltwater. I did this for a while until I got my saltwater test kit.

You can the freshwater API test for saltwater, but you’ll need this sheet:
View attachment 167627

If you have the funds, I would get the saltwater master kit, just to be 100% safe. No necessary, but recommended.
eah, I can offord it but it's not getting the answer that I want, ie are the chemical reagents the same?
If anyone can provide a colour chart for the NT Labs Marine tests it'd help.

eah, I can offord it but it's not getting the answer that I want, ie are the chemical reagents the same?
The chemicals are exactly the same, they just show up different colors because of the salt. That’s why you need the marine color sheet.

You can use the freshwater one for both fw and sw. However, I am unsure if you can the saltwater one for fw.

The chemicals are exactly the same, they just show up different colors because of the salt. That’s why you need the marine color sheet.

You can use the freshwater one for both fw and sw. However, I am unsure if you can the saltwater one for fw.
It is kinda a scam then on APIs end... They sell the saltwater kit for more money and I think that's wrong

It is kinda a scam then on APIs end... They sell the saltwater kit for more money and I think that's wrong
Unless you have an actual marine sheet made by API, it's very hard to print it off with accurate colors, unless you have a professional grade printer. The marine sheet has higher levels that it can test up to, because freshwater and saltwater parameters are different.

So not really a scam.

Unless you have an actual marine sheet made by API, it's very hard to print it off with accurate colors, unless you have a professional grade printer. The marine sheet has higher levels that it can test up to, because freshwater and saltwater parameters are different.

So not really a scam.
Ah ok... You can always look at the color sheets online and you don't have to print it off. Works for me when the colors start fading on my color charts

Ah ok... You can always look at the color sheets online and you don't have to print it off. Works for me when the colors start fading on my color charts
That isn't accurate. Depends on device, brightness, number of pixels your display has, lighting in the room, how good the person eyesight is, etc. Having the real sheet is imperative.

Plus, they have the Saltwater Master Test Kit and the Reef Master Test Kit. The SM Test Kit measures High Range pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The Reef Master only measures phosphate and high levels of nitrate. Both are very usefull imo.

That isn't accurate. Depends on device, brightness, number of pixels your display has, lighting in the room, how good the person eyesight is, etc. Having the real sheet is imperative.

Plus, they have the Saltwater Master Test Kit and the Reef Master Test Kit. The SM Test Kit measures High Range pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The Reef Master only measures phosphate and high levels of nitrate. Both are very usefull imo.
My device has great brightness, pixel display and the room lighting is ok... So I trust it

The colour charts are on NT Labs website, and can be opened in full screen for ease of use.

My device has great brightness, pixel display and the room lighting is ok... So I trust it
And what device might that be?

If comparing test results on a screen was more accurate/easier than on paper, then API would save a ton of money by creating an app and getting rid of the paper manuals. There's a reason they don't do that. 🤷

And what device might that be?

If comparing test results on a screen was more accurate/easier than on paper, then API would save a ton of money by creating an app and getting rid of the paper manuals. There's a reason they don't do that. 🤷
Samsung s10+... It has an amazing display.
And when I compare it to a new color sheet it matches really well. The nitrite colors are more easy to discern has well

Haven't read the whole thread and I used Tetra tests, and Red Sea, but they seem to have vanished. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are same test for fresh or salt.
Additional saltwater tests would be calcium, copper, and phosphate, I think that's it. If the saltwater kit doesn't include at least one of those, go with the freshwater kit. You can always use KH /gh on your freshwater tanks or swap them for something

The colour charts are on NT Labs website, and can be opened in full screen for ease of use.

Thanks @Essjay
I notice an immediate difference in the Ammonia test. The sample of water is at 1ml for marine, instead of 5 ml for freshwater. The number of drips is the same so I'll do another test and see what that shows. I have some fresh bottled seawater to try it out on.
I wonder..... If this is a deliberate ploy to confuse. I mean if you use the Freshwater sample of 5ml it would require 25 drops of the NH3 liquids. Any reduction of that to 1/5th will quite obviously show the wrong colour.
Will report the outcome later.
TEST DONE. There's no difference in the resulting colours in the test water. It still shows very blue, same as in the freshwater skull and crossbones level.

Last edited:
I've just done the test as per NT Labs requirements of 1ml water to 5 drops from each of the 3 reagent bottles. There's no difference from my doing a 5ml sample to 5 drops of each reagent. The colour is still dark blue. Remember this only for the ammonia test.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back