Are Water Changes Always Stressful?

eduller said:
I use a python/siphon to change the water in all my tanks. I got one of those patch kits for a vinyl window screen and made a little sleeve of the screen material to go over the end of the siphon, held in place by a rubber band. It not only prevents any fish or gravel from being sucked up, but it also helps dissipate the current when I fill the tank back up so it's not one big splashing rush of water. One of my bettas used to do everything in his power to try to get sucked up into the python. He succeeded once (without injury, luckily), and then I devised the window screen "baffle" for it.

Sounds interesting!

Is it possible you may post a pic of this, so i know exactly what you mean. 
smile.png

Ah, thats a good idea, might help stop me getting shrimps in the hose when i do syphon water out 
laugh.png

EDIT - apologies to op for jumping into thread and slightly change subject there, hope you don't mind 
smile.png

I use a biorb siphon to empy my tank's water into a 5 gallon bucket. i have multiple tanks. i always only empty water into one specific bucket and i reintroduce new water using different 5 gallon buckets.
this seems to stop snails, disease, germs, etc from spreading.

some of my fish hate water changes, so i reduced the amount of water changes  to ~50% once a week.
they dont seem to get stressed anymore but they do fight against the current when i dump it in. they seem very intrested in the siphon and swim up to it to smell it and i've had a few go inside one end and out the other.
i use seachem prime for my mollys in a 35 hex tank and i use stresscoat with my bettas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back