Are Water Changes Always Stressful?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyGirl20

Fishaholic
Reaction score
When I do water changes it always stresses out my little betta. Is there a way to not make it so stressful for the little thing or is something they just have to get use to and toughen up?

That's a great question. The answer (in my experience) is one of degrees. Meaning, the fish do get used to water changes but always remain slightly stressed by them. Fish don't like it so much when their water gets messed with. 

You can minimize the stress by how you do the change. There are several methods that work. For my marine tank I slowly pump out the water and then slowly pump back in the new water. In smaller tanks I make sure I pour the new water in gently, either using a plant or filter to trickle it off of so it doesn't make a big splash or a massive falling current in the water. 

Well I can't control how fast the water comes out but I can try putting the water back in more gently. Thanks :)

GuppyGirl20 said:
Well I can't control how fast the water comes out but I can try putting the water back in more gently. Thanks
smile.png
Maybe you can. How much do you change at a time and how do you currently remove it?

I've got a siphone. I usually do a 20 percent change (today I did a biger one bc I had a new decoration to put in the tank)

A siphon is a good way. You can slow it by using a smaller diameter siphon but that might not be necessary. Try pouring less vigorously and see if that helps. 

All that said the stress of a water change shouldn't be so stressful on the fish that it's harming it. Even though the fish is hiding and swimming fast it can manage that stress for a short period. Generally not something to worry all that much about. It think it stresses us more than the fish!

Lol Truth. I was just concerned because the betta is still so small

Some fish get used to them and some don't. Most fish get curious oabout the stuff going up the vacuum sipjon since they do not see the plasrtic tube only what might be edible going up. I have had juvenile SAEs try to eat the hair "algae" on the back of my hands and forearms - it tickles btw. While other fish bolt and hide and do not come back out until the water change is done.

There are no hard and fast rules for how any given fish will behave. But it is my belief that over time all fish become somewhat more at ease about water changes. Even the ones hiding are not as stressed as when they first went into the tank and the weeks or months right after.

My fish seem to actually enjoy the water changes I do every week.
They tend to have really really bright colors after the change.
My betta is really curious and will investigate the area while I'm doing the change :p

I do my water changes on the same day each week per tank. My fish know which is water change day, most of them get positively excited about it

Same, my guys love w/c day. I refill with temperature matched water straight from my kitchen tap so I'm able to aim the pipe in a way that doesn't cause massive distrubance - maybe that helps :)

Hmm, like already said there is no fast and hard rules about water changes.

I believe it really does depend on the specie in the tank, for example, I had Threadfin Rainbowfish and they did not like ware changes much schooled pretty tightly and even though i was gentle with water going out and back into the tank, theyre are just naturally skittish fish i think so even after 7 months, they still did not like water changes very much, although they do seems to really show their colours and relaxed a lot after water changes, they do like the fresh water in the tank.

On the other hand, i also have Endlers, they do like the water changes, all over my hands and syphon pipe, just generally being in the way ( as well as the RCS!) 
laugh.png
And when i am using the syphon hose to put clean water back in to tank, they like to play in the fresh water current.

2 very different behaviours despite pretty much the same methods and cleaning routine!

Water changes will even induce some fish to spawn. 

My cories seem to enjoy the water changes but the cherry barbs and the harlequin rasbora hide in the plants. I've only had Javier a couple of weeks so he has only had a few water changes. Even though I try to put the new water in as gently as possible he usually hides in one of the caves while I do it.

I use a python/siphon to change the water in all my tanks. I got one of those patch kits for a vinyl window screen and made a little sleeve of the screen material to go over the end of the siphon, held in place by a rubber band. It not only prevents any fish or gravel from being sucked up, but it also helps dissipate the current when I fill the tank back up so it's not one big splashing rush of water. One of my bettas used to do everything in his power to try to get sucked up into the python. He succeeded once (without injury, luckily), and then I devised the window screen "baffle" for it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back