What's new

Are those Discus still alive? I never get an answer!

Stan510

Fishaholic
Reaction score
You see MANY vids on youtube of large Discus in brightly lit plant aquariums. Well,I know that doesnt last long. Maybe two years before the Discus invariably get white feces. I would say many,many,only live weeks in that set up.
What they always do is post vids of an established plant aquarium THEN they add hundreds of dollars or thousands sometimes worth of Discus and all sort of have that "I spent a fortune on this big tank,equipment and for YOU,discus..now look great forever!'...And of course the fish..just ignore all of it and waste away slowly. Some are bullied to death ( Why I say keep a happy pair to themselves ) and the rest range from thin to stunted with one or two fish doing well for the 2 years or so. Only they started with a dozen or more.
ONE man..did admit.his trial with Discus in his natural aquarium was a disaster..he lost all the fish. A financial hit he admitted. He called it a horror story. In Dutch!
Anyways,take my advice raise a half dozen until they pair off...and keep just one happy pair in 50-100 gallons of not brightly lit tanks,no sand or gravel..just dark slate on the bottom and maybe a nice tannen driftwood with a Java fern or Anubias on it. Simple AND warm,86F for the rest of their lives. Do that and you might get 7,8,10 inch Discus!

PheonixKingZ

Fish Gatherer
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
Pretty good advice and pretty true statements. Especially "The King Of DIY" youtuber. He has millions of subs and a lot of "cool" tanks. But...he has killed a LOT of fish. Like his first arowna. He didn't even have a lid on the tank, and it jumped out. A poor mistake on his part. He has a lot of tanks and big fish, but he is very un knowledgeable.

ChefAlex

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
While I do agree that Discus are much better suited to low lighting, I do disagree that the vast majority will die within weeks as you suggest. Most blackwater species will adjust to most any light levels provided their other needs are met. There are countless brightly lit aquascapes with blackwater species living perfectly fine, think cardinal tetras. Lighting does not reduce lifespan provided the fish isn’t stressed. Many reef keepers have deeper water species that are thriving in light levels way higher than those in a planted tank.

Gabe Posada, the operations manager of Jack Wattley Discus, keeps high-light planted discus displays in both the hatchery and at his home. They even spawn in the hatchery’s display.

Many species are more adaptable than we think. There was a time when it was thought impossible to keep discus in alkaline water and German breeders have been proving otherwise for decades.