Are These Dwarf Gouramis Females?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

0_Infinite_0

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was in Walmart yesterday and was delighted to see they had female dwarf gouramis! I just want to double check that they are indeed females before I put them in with the male. Thanks so much. xx

Attachments

• IMG_6487.JPG
    IMG_6487.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 126
It's definitely not a male. She looks nearly transparent. I had bred a pair less than a year ago and don't remember the female looking that colorless. My question would be less about whether it's fe/male and more about whether it'sĀ Trichogaster chuna or TrichogasterĀ lalius.Ā 
Ā 
Why do you want to be sure it's a female before you add it to the male's tank? Adding it and then observing behavior is also a good indicator of sexes (with some gourami species it's the best/only way).
Ā 
You might want to put them on opposite sides of a transparent barrier, e.g. divider, 2 tanks flush against each other, a floating receptacle in the male's tank, etc, rather than adding it straight away. She does not appear gravid in the photo, and you haven't mentioned whether the male has constructed a nest yet or not. The whole process will go much smoother if both conditions already exist.
Ā 
Good luck with them.Ā 

You can sex a gourami by the bottom tale (this one is female) if the bottom tail is sharp and have a good point/edge to it, then its a male, if its curved smoothly then its a female

100% female

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

jentik-jentik said:
It's definitely not a male. She looks nearly transparent. I had bred a pair less than a year ago and don't remember the female looking that colorless. My question would be less about whether it's fe/male and more about whether it'sĀ Trichogaster chuna or TrichogasterĀ lalius.Ā 
Ā 
Why do you want to be sure it's a female before you add it to the male's tank? Adding it and then observing behavior is also a good indicator of sexes (with some gourami species it's the best/only way).
Ā 
You might want to put them on opposite sides of a transparent barrier, e.g. divider, 2 tanks flush against each other, a floating receptacle in the male's tank, etc, rather than adding it straight away. She does not appear gravid in the photo, and you haven't mentioned whether the male has constructed a nest yet or not. The whole process will go much smoother if both conditions already exist.
Ā 
Good luck with them.Ā 
Ā 
At a closer look they seem to beĀ TrichogasterĀ lalius.Ā I think they were just too stressed out. Now they're showing a bit more color!Ā 
Ā 
My males are quite aggressive towards other males, that's why I wanted to know the gender.Ā 
Ā 
The male has started to build a bubble nest since I put her in.
Ā 
DoubleDutch said:
100% female

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk
Ā 
Thank you! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back