Are There Any Good Ways To Get Good Tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Typhlodew

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at the tanks that are at the chain pet stores, I don't have anything else in my local area, and all of the tanks are either way over priced or crap. Are there any good ways too procure decent tanks that won't completely empty my wallet? I received my first tank as a gift, so I have no idea how to buy tanks. 

What area do you live in, and what are the chain stores in your area? Petco sells some decent tanks by National Geographic and Aqueon, but they usually don't carry anything over 55G in the stores. Most can order larger tanks however. Petsmart usually carry Tetra brand tanks, which are serviceable if not fancy.
   I've bought several perfectly good used tanks off Craigslist for reasonable prices. The advantage to buying used tanks is that you can often get heaters, filters, and lighting with the tank. Just be sure that you get to see the tank fully filled if you go that route to be sure there are no leaks. And, if they come with a stand, inspect the stand fully. A weak stand can be an instant nightmare if it collapses with a full tank on it.

I have a petco about ten-20 minutes away, and a petsmart about 40 minutes away. I couldn't find anything on the websites but thank you for telling me that the stores could order them.

Most reactions

trending

Back