Are there actual specific types of guppy?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

WarmAris

Reaction score
If so, please list a link to some or type some out. If there is a book to varieties (when I say varieties, I mean specific names of guppies for each pattern), please link it. I was thinking about getting guppies and cross-breeding as a hobby. Everytime I search for specific types, I just find features a guppy could have --> articles like this one: https://leafyplace.com/types-of-guppies/ that are not helpful/don't answer my question and it's been getting a bit annoying so I decided to make an account here because it's answered some questions I've had about fish here. (Other people asked the same questions I had).

We have a member @emeraldking that specializes in livebearers. Perhaps he will chime in next time he is on our forums.
Hope you find value on TFF.

If so, please list a link to some or type some out. If there is a book to varieties (when I say varieties, I mean specific names of guppies for each pattern), please link it. I was thinking about getting guppies and cross-breeding as a hobby. Everytime I search for specific types, I just find features a guppy could have --> articles like this one: https://leafyplace.com/types-of-guppies/ that are not helpful/don't answer my question and it's been getting a bit annoying so I decided to make an account here because it's answered some questions I've had about fish here. (Other people asked the same questions I had).
Hi, I've just took a peek at your link. There are quite some errors mentioned overthere. This has to be written by someone who's fanatic about guppies but doesn't own the right knowledge,
But to answer your queston first... Yes, there are different types of guppies with their own names. And I'm refering to those fancy guppies. I won't use the name common guppies for what are common guppies to be honest? I'd like to use the name commercial fancy guppies. For show guppies that are finding their way into the shows, belong firstly to the higher segment of guppies. But after a couple of years, also such guppies will find their way to the commercial world. As guppies found at an average lfs are called common guppies by many, I still ask myself than: What are common guppies?
Yes, there are also classifications within the fancy strains. They can be classified by bodyshape, body size, fin shape, base color, cover coloration and pattern (fins and/or body).
There are specific books that relate to these classifications and they are booklets about guppy genetics.

The classification of the guppies start firstly with the wild ones. These are:
1: Poecilia reticulata (also knows as Poecilia reticulatus, Lebises lebistes and many more)
2: Poecilia obscura (also known as Oropuche guppy)
3: Poecilia kempkesi (also known as Paramaribo guppy)
And nowadays a fourth that will be:
4: Poecilia wingei (also known as endler or endlerguppy)
These are the official 4 known groups of guppies in free nature. Poecilia reticulata is the largestn group of them. This mean that not all guppies in the wild are Poecilia reticulata. Those who claim that the only scientific name for the guppy is Poecilia reticulata already shows that they lack knowledge.
In the link you've given, they do mention Micropoecilia picta. This is not a guppy but only related to the guppy. It's a subspecies within the genus "Poecilia". I do underfstand the mix up while one of the common names is swam guppy. But it's not a guppy. It's a species of its own. Just like endlers are not guppies despite of the name endlerguppy. But yes, they're also related to the guppy. They all differ in DNA but are close related, with sexual organs that are also compatible with another that they can mate and reproduce fertile offspring. That's how the story about wild versions of our known guppies works.

There are more errors to be mentioned on the link you're mentioned. There are tropical and subtropical guppies in free nature. The mistake people make is that they refer to the country wher they occur. If you're serious guppy enthusisast, you'd look at the waters they occur. For there are also subzones within a tropical zone that are subtropical. Fish live in cooler water in those subzones. With the current diversity of fancy phenotypes, it's brave to mention an estimation of 300 types. I wouldn't mention a number or an estimation in this rapid increasing world of guppies.
One of the first pictures says: Poecilia reticulata is the most common type of guppy with showy tail. Being Poecilia reticulata has got nothing to do with a showy tail. Got a slight feeling that the author refers to large tails. The size they'll grow up to doesn't sound correct to me as well. Depending on the strain, they can even grow up bigger.
The quote overthere "Selective breeding means that common guppies are some of the showiest types of freshwater fish you can buy." ain't correct either. Selective breeding only means that you go for traits that you'd like to see in a strain. It doesn't have to be something showy by all means.
It's been said that guppies are easy to breed. Let me tell you that there are also a number of fancy and wild strains that are hard to reproduce. Experienced guppy breeders know what I'm talking about. The name "fancy guppy" doesn't explicitely refer to guppies with large tails. Fancy guppies are officlally all guppies that are created by man. So, also short tailed and many more...
The guppy refered to "Red tuxedo guppy" isn't a red tuxedo guppy at all. A red tuxedo guppy looks like this:
IMG_9378.JPG

Above: Blonde based, below: Grey based.
IMG_6788.JPG

The difference between cobra and snake is more that cobra tends to have thicker spots in comparison to snake. But both are snake pattern. And snakeskin ony refers to the skin (like the name already says). And tiger stripes are different from snake pattern. This is caused by the zebrinus gene.
The name "glass guppies" does not refer to a transparant tail. It refers to an almost translucent body (also known as see thru guppies). If a tail is translucent, it's just translucent.
The quote "Fin tails on types of lace guppies feature intricate patterns on fan-shaped tail fins" is incorrect. Lace pattern apply on different kinds of fin tals.
The quote "All mosaic guppies also belong to the types of fancy guppies due to their spectacular metallic, iridescent, and vivid colors" doesn't add up either. Mosaic guppies don't have to be mettalic.
About the albino specimens: There are albino and lutinos. The difference is the intensity of the red (so, the grade of lack of the melanin). and with albinos there are two kinds of abinos. Those with red eyes and almost till a total white body ( oculotaneous albinism) and those with jusr red eyes and no white or whitish body (ocular albinism).

Overher a book about different types of fancy guppies:
guppy book1.jpg

Mine is in japanese.
And overhere a booklet about guppy genetics:
2020-12-13_182353.jpg

I'm a breeder and keeper of different kinds of livebearers. But guppies have got my special focus ever since the 1970's.
For some info, I'd like to post this link: www.emeraldking-aquatics.com. It's my own website (non-commercial) about livebearers.
It 's become a long story, huh... Sorry for that... :)
Hope this will help you out a bit...

We have a member @emeraldking that specializes in livebearers. Perhaps he will chime in next time he is on our forums.
Hope you find value on TFF.
You know what's so funny? I've just noticed that I haven't even logged out last night. So, actually I was still online overhere while I was asleep...

Most reactions

Back