Are shrimp compatible in my tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 38 gallon tank with 12 diamond tetras, 5 bronze corys and a BN pleco. I am planning to add two honey gouramis in a few weeks.

I have soft acidic water. Could a few shrimp be successful in this tank without crowding anyone? Also are shrimp safe to be around live plants?

Hi!

I have a 38 gallon tank with 12 diamond tetras, 5 bronze corys and a BN pleco. I am planning to add two honey gouramis in a few weeks.

I have soft acidic water. Could a few shrimp be successful in this tank without crowding anyone? Also are shrimp safe to be around live plants?

I'm no shrimp expert but i think they'll be fine in that tank. Especially if you get neocaridina shrimp like cherries they're pretty adaptable to water conditions and they won't harm your live plants at all.

Acidic water is not good for shrimp or any vertebrates. They need calcium carbonate for their shells. Do you know what the KH measures in your tank, this is a measurement of calcium carbonate. Below is a copy from this website.

1. Calcium Carbonate is crucial to the molting cycle of shrimp. It affects the hardening of the newly formed shell. According to some studies, the shrimp shell consists of the three main components Chitin (20-30 %), Proteins (30-40%), Calcium carbonate (30-50%).
  2. It is essential to maintaining precise levels of internal salts for normal heart, muscle, and nerve function of the shrimp.
  3. Calcium Carbonate plays a huge role in breeding shrimp. It has a great effect on it. If the GH parameter in your tank does not match the proper level, your shrimp can lose eggs or stop breeding at all.
  4. These minerals also help in food digestion. They help the immune system to fight toxins and diseases in the body and can reduce overall stress in your shrimp.
  5. Calcium Carbonate can have profound effects on the level of stress and shrimp health, oxygen availability and the toxicity of ammonia in a shrimp tank.

What is your pH and GH?
Neocaridina shrimps can withstand wider tolerance of GH and pH.

You can provide them with mineral supplements from shrimps food and add GH+ salt if your GH is too low.

Plants are useful to provide biofilms and algae (that grow on the plants) as food for the shrimps.

My only concern is the Diamond Tetras may eat your shrimps especially the shrimplets.

I'd steer away from the shrimps as an option. As @Lajos_Detari said above, the diamond tetras (whilst being peaceful) might go for the shrimp and will almost certainly eat the shrimplets. The honey gouramis should be ok with them.

Most reactions

trending

Back