Are screws safe to use in aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I use Cyanoacrylate gel based glue works better than the liquid version.....the gel does not try to escape everywhere that you do not want it or leave that unsightly whitish blob of excess glue where you cannot fail to see it.

I do have some Mopani with a plant growing from it (yes, a real plant, unusually for me since I have no green thumbs) and that has a suction cup attached with a stainless steel screw in one of my aquariums and have no issues at all.

But given the choice of adhesive method, I prefer the Cyanoacrylate gel...quicker and less mess.
I'm also a fan of the superglue gel.

NO don’t use screws in your aquarium, regardless of if they are stainless steel or not. Use black tip ties that can be found at your local hardware store. That plastic is safe to use.

I use Cyanoacrylate gel based glue works better than the liquid version.....the gel does not try to escape everywhere that you do not want it or leave that unsightly whitish blob of excess glue where you cannot fail to see it.
But given the choice of adhesive method, I prefer the Cyanoacrylate gel...quicker and less mess.

Any particular brand or just any gel superglue as long as it’s 100% cyanoacrylate that you like to use?

I do sometimes see the brand loctite superglue gel in hardware stores and always wondered if that’s better than the liquid superglue, and you’re right the liquid superglue does dry white and it’s unmissable when you see it in the tank which kinda annoys me tbh.

Any particular brand or just any gel superglue as long as it’s 100% cyanoacrylate that you like to use?

I do sometimes see the brand loctite superglue gel in hardware stores and always wondered if that’s better than the liquid superglue, and you’re right the liquid superglue does dry white and it’s unmissable when you see it in the tank which kinda annoys me tbh.
As long as the glue has the Cyanoacrylate as it main ingredient, the brand doesn't matter. You can get quite inexpensive brands that work as well as the more well known ones, you just have to make sure of the ingredients.

There will hardly leech iron into the tank cause the corrosionlayer prevents that.

In early days nails were put in to "fertilize" the tank with iron, but it wasn't a succes cause of the mentioned layer.

Same thing with lead btw

Are you saying they used to put lead in tanks to fertilize?

Are you saying they used to put lead in tanks to fertilize?
Nooooo hahahaha. Sorry I wasn't clear.
Lead is less poisoness in water than thought cause of the "protective" corrosionlayer that will cover the surface.

Sone plantweights are made out of lead.
Personally I would remove them btw but they're less harmful than thought

Nooooo hahahaha. Sorry I wasn't clear.
🤣 Really had me scratching my head on that one 🤣

Lead is less poisoness in water than thought cause of the "protective" corrosionlayer that will cover the surface.

But lead DOES leech into water, studies have shown this. That is why in most regions in the US you are no longer allowed to use lead shot for hunting water fowl. Many streams/rivers/lakes also ban the use of lead weights for fishing.

🤣 Really had me scratching my head on that one 🤣

But lead DOES leech into water, studies have shown this. That is why in most regions in the US you are no longer allowed to use lead shot for hunting water fowl. Many streams/rivers/lakes also ban the use of lead weights for fishing.
It's all about quantity.
For decades, lead was used to weigh plants down, to no real detriment to plants OR fish. It is still used in that role.

Angling is a different matter altogether, on account of the sheer number of lead weights discarded/lost by the angling pursuit.

It's all about quantity.
For decades, lead was used to weigh plants down, to no real detriment to plants OR fish. It is still used in that role.

Angling is a different matter altogether, on account of the sheer number of lead weights discarded/lost by the angling pursuit.
Aye, but quantity wouldn't matter if in fact lead did not leech into water due to a "protective corrosion layer", as stated. My point was that yes, it does leech into water. While plants and fish may have more tolerance of it than mammals, it is still a toxin in the water.

Aye, but quantity wouldn't matter if in fact lead did not leech into water due to a "protective corrosion layer", as stated. My point was that yes, it does leech into water. While plants and fish may have more tolerance of it than mammals, it is still a toxin in the water.
Think that's more about fish and birds eating weights and indeed about the build up and quantity over the years. Also I think it will leech a bit before this layer I mentioned has occured so if one constantly adds new lead it will leech more than one piece that longer in.

I preffer removing the weights though.

Think that's more about fish and birds eating weights and indeed about the build up and quantity over the years. Also I think it will leech a bit before this layer I mentioned has occured so if one constantly adds new lead it will leech more than one piece that longer in.

I preffer removing the weights though.
It's about lead toxins in the water, affecting all life. The layer doesn't stop toxins from getting in the water. And many things can remove the corrosive layer, such as changes in pH. That's why we don't use lead water pipes in our houses any more. We may have to agree to disagree.

On a side note... it is utterly amazing how these threads spiral. And I'm blaming no one other than myself! 🤷‍♂️

It's about lead toxins in the water, affecting all life. The layer doesn't stop toxins from getting in the water. And many things can remove the corrosive layer, such as changes in pH. That's why we don't use lead water pipes in our houses any more. We may have to agree to disagree.

On a side note... it is utterly amazing how these threads spiral. And I'm blaming no one other than myself! 🤷‍♂️
And myself for coming up with lead hahaha.
As said I would use as less lead as possible hahaha. It is what I have read over the years.
So I surrender without a fight in this case.

Think we might both artly be right hahaha

Attachments

• 16334424489742364554070583336013.jpg
    16334424489742364554070583336013.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 30

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back