Are RCS,YCS or GC compatible with BWT?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
To finish of my 65 I wanted to get some Shrimp, I was reading people’s balck widows were eating their shrimp though. I was planning on getting like 7 and 7 mabye? Would the Black Widow Tetras/ Corydoras eat them? The shrimp will be around 1.5cm and my black widows are just over an inch. Cory’s are a little less than an inch. Is it true you can have 10 shrimp per gallon?? I need a clean-up crew because my Cory’s eat rummage for food! None of my fish have had shrimp but have had mosquito larvae I found in the garden and some daphnia that was in our creek, thanks for any help!!!

Black widow tetras should be fine with shrimp. If the fish get hungry they might have a go at the shrimp and if there are no plants for the shrimp to hide in, the smaller shrimp might get eaten. But if you have lots of plants and feed the fish well, the shrimp should be fine.

Black widow tetras should be fine with shrimp. If the fish get hungry they might have a go at the shrimp and if there are no plants for the shrimp to hide in, the smaller shrimp might get eaten. But if you have lots of plants and feed the fish well, the shrimp should be fine.
Only just realised Cherry’s are illegal in tassie. Very bummed about that.. I’m not sure about glass shrimps are the same as freshwater shrimp because they are native and I can catch them. But I’m worried about them being sick. I’ll take a photo and post it of what fish are aloud through biosecurity.

Only just realised Cherry’s are illegal in tassie. Very bummed about that.. I’m not sure about glass shrimps are the same as freshwater shrimp because they are native and I can catch them. But I’m worried about them being sick. I’ll take a photo and post it of what fish are aloud through biosecurity.

Attachments

• 1BBABA79-2D7E-4112-96DE-461EF6569B06.png
    1BBABA79-2D7E-4112-96DE-461EF6569B06.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 120
  • AD905415-EF56-4F1A-B2BF-BEA77A923C21.png
    AD905415-EF56-4F1A-B2BF-BEA77A923C21.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 111
Unfortunately I don’t think anyone in Tass have shrimp ;(

That's a pretty stupid list of things to keep out of Tassie. Most of them are tropical marine shrimp that will end up around Tassie in 20 yrs when the Great Barrier Reef migrates south due to hot water. Idiot government should be doing something about the sugar gliders down there that are killing the orange belly parrots. Gotta stop bad mouthing government before I get started, grrr *&^%$## stupid politicians.

Local glass shrimp are normally fine and free of disease. You can check the body on the shrimp and if it has white or cream patches in the tail or the entire tail is cream colour then don't take those shrimp because they are infected with worms and microsporidian. But any shrimp that is clear and looks normal with no funny marks or colourations should be fine to add to tanks. I use to add glass shrimp to my tanks all the time and never had an issue with the fish getting sick.

If you visit the mainland you could take some shrimp back with you and supply them to other like minded individuals. Just don't tell anyone your real name or where you live. If anyone asks, you know nothing. And what the government doesn't know, won't hurt them. A coffee flask of shrimp in your bag while you travel back to the island :)

screw you government.

That's a pretty stupid list of things to keep out of Tassie. Most of them are tropical marine shrimp that will end up around Tassie in 20 yrs when the Great Barrier Reef migrates south due to hot water. Idiot government should be doing something about the sugar gliders down there that are killing the orange belly parrots. Gotta stop bad mouthing government before I get started, grrr *&^%$## stupid politicians.

Local glass shrimp are normally fine and free of disease. You can check the body on the shrimp and if it has white or cream patches in the tail or the entire tail is cream colour then don't take those shrimp because they are infected with worms and microsporidian. But any shrimp that is clear and looks normal with no funny marks or colourations should be fine to add to tanks. I use to add glass shrimp to my tanks all the time and never had an issue with the fish getting sick.

If you visit the mainland you could take some shrimp back with you and supply them to other like minded individuals. Just don't tell anyone your real name or where you live. If anyone asks, you know nothing. And what the government doesn't know, won't hurt them. A coffee flask of shrimp in your bag while you travel back to the island :)

screw you government.
Yeah ikr.. BLOODY idiots. We aren’t aloud to have them because they lag eggs in other fish? Bruh our fish a huge and those shrimp are tiny. Who do they think they are. Not allowed turtles. Mystery snails ugh there idiots. I found a good seller and was gunna see if he could put on the invoice cleaner shrimp and hope that they wouldn’t open them. Then again I’ll be in vic in the next few weeks for about 6 hours when I come home from Singapore, might have to try sneak some over :3 I’ll call biosecurity or the council to make sure they are a 100% no-go I even went out yesterday to collect some rocks.. soaked, scrubbed, vinegar and boiled some are drilled for holes for the shrimp might try and order like 2 and see if I get em. Then I’ll breed and make huge profit. Because I bet tonnes of people in tassie will want em. Sorry for my rant but I think the government has better things to do than worry about some tiny shrimp. Mabye did the enconmy before we end up like America? In 09 I want to say?

screw you government.
Oh by the way those list of photos are ones allowed into tassie if you didn’t realise.

screw you government.
You got smuggle me some over LOL. but seriously would you? BAHAHA

We aren’t aloud to have them because they lag eggs in other fish?
Is that what they said? Can't have shrimp because they lay eggs in fish? That can't be right.

Oh by the way those list of photos are ones allowed into tassie if you didn’t realise.
My mistake, I thought the images were of lists showing things not allowed. I couldn't understand why they had Lysmata amboinensis when they are found on the Great Barrier Reef and around the northern half of Australia.

If you are in Victoria for a few hours, perhaps contact a few petshops now and see if they have shrimp or can get you some. Then visit them and pick them up before heading south. I doubt there is a biosecurity check between the mainland and the island.

I wouldn’t mind knowing for sure. It I believe there might be in Tasmania. I sent biosecurity tas an email knowing i wont get a reply. I don’t want to take the risk really in case I get caught. I reckon It would be a hefty fine

My Tank.. soon to be a hospital/breeder tank
65L adding more of everything once I get a bigger tank 3 Cherry Barbs,bigger tank. 3 black widow Tetras, 4 Purple Hareliquin Rasboras and 2 Corydoras.
Anyone got stocking ideas for a 130 or 182L
Thanks!

Is that what they said? Can't have shrimp because they lay eggs in fish? That can't be right.

My mistake, I thought the images were of lists showing things not allowed. I couldn't understand why they had Lysmata amboinensis when they are found on the Great Barrier Reef and around the northern half of Australia.

If you are in Victoria for a few hours, perhaps contact a few petshops now and see if they have shrimp or can get you some. Then visit them and pick them up before heading south. I doubt there is a biosecurity check between the mainland and the island.
Well that happend. One of my black widow tetras chased a phr and it jumped out. Down to three Rasboras now. How do I fix that?

Black widow tetras and all tetras, barbs and rasboras need to be in big groups. If you increase the number of black widow tetras they will spend more time chasing each other and less time hassling the other fish.

Full coverglass can help stop fish jumping out. You can put a bit of filter wool or sponge in the corners where airline and cables go.

Black widow tetras and all tetras, barbs and rasboras need to be in big groups. If you increase the number of black widow tetras they will spend more time chasing each other and less time hassling the other fish.

Full coverglass can help stop fish jumping out. You can put a bit of filter wool or sponge in the corners where airline and cables go.
Bit of a freak accident I’d say stil. Poor little guy hopped about a 1 meter and got stuck under a box.. if only I was there at the time :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back