Are My Bleeding Heart Tetras Getting Ready To Spawn?

Aussie_Dog

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Central Alberta, Canada
Okay, so a few weeks back, I decided to switch the background on my 60gal tank from the black to blue (double-sided background, lol). Shortly after, as I stepped back to observe whether or not I liked it (I don't think I do, actually...), I noticed the Bleeding Heart Tetras looked odd. They actually gave me a fright, because I was terrified that they were suffering some sort of ammonia burning or something, because they had a black sheen to them (or dark grey). Then I noticed only two of them had it, and they seemed to be showing off to each other, sort of tilted as if to show off their sides better. If they swam away from each other, their normal colors would come back, but if they saw each other again, they'd tilt to the side and go dark again, and sort of do a half-circle around each other (classic western standoff, lol). I have a female in there, and another male, but that male wasn't doing it. The males also had a red spot on their abdomen, except the male who wasn't joining in the show-off activities, lol

Today, the third male started doing it and I had 3 dark-grey Tetras with red bellies showing off their awesomeness to each other, while the female just meandered about looking for food. At one point, she was being chased by the herd of three males. So I'm thinking this is breeding behaviour, but I haven't seen anything about it on google. Anyone else have experiences?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top