Are my apistos getting ready to mate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lovely video. I wish my apistos acted like that. Mine are just aggressive to eachother

Yes they are, lovely video. I would be keeping an eye on the rock at the right hand side of this video.
Awesome. I've got a cave in there for them but I haven't noticed them going in it. Can they lay eggs on rocks too?

Lovely video. I wish my apistos acted like that. Mine are just aggressive to eachother
These two have never really shown any aggression towards each other. Just a light nip here and there but mostly they just swim around together and even hunt shrimp and share food together. Really hope they spawn!

Like I said look at the rock on the right hand side of the video. That is the show point.

Just chipping in to say what beautiful fish they are, and what a gorgeous tank!! 😍
Hope they successful spawn and raise fry for you.

(I have that exact same filter BTW, it's a good one!)

What kind of rock is that? Looks volcanic. I want some now.

Just chipping in to say what beautiful fish they are, and what a gorgeous tank!! 😍
Hope they successful spawn and raise fry for you.

(I have that exact same filter BTW, it's a good one!)

What kind of rock is that? Looks volcanic. I want some now.

Thank you! They are awesome fish. My first apistos actually.

They're just round lava rocks 😬

Thank you! They are awesome fish. My first apistos actually.

They're just round lava rocks 😬
Aah, that explains why they look volcanic! Nice, will have to see prices for them around here.

How long have you had the apistos? How did you wind up with a pair? Did you have to observe them in the store or buy six or so and see which seemed to pair up?
I'm thinking of getting some apistos for one of my tanks, but have a lot of research to do first. Yours are beautiful!

Aah, that explains why they look volcanic! Nice, will have to see prices for them around here.

How long have you had the apistos? How did you wind up with a pair? Did you have to observe them in the store or buy six or so and see which seemed to pair up?
I'm thinking of getting some apistos for one of my tanks, but have a lot of research to do first. Yours are beautiful!
I've had them nearly 2 months now. When I picked them out I just picked the biggest and best looking male and I was a bit lucky with the female because we couldn't find any and almost gave up but then I spotted her sitting in a little cave in the tank at the store. Luckily they just got along from the start. They really are awesome fish, they have great personalities and you can see them tracking you when you walk in the room.

I've had them nearly 2 months now. When I picked them out I just picked the biggest and best looking male and I was a bit lucky with the female because we couldn't find any and almost gave up but then I spotted her sitting in a little cave in the tank at the store. Luckily they just got along from the start. They really are awesome fish, they have great personalities and you can see them tracking you when you walk in the room.
You're definitely selling me on them even more! 😍 :lol:

I'm not even sure which apisto species I'd want, so many beautiful species and colour mutations, but the double reds and fire reds are high on the list! Please please share any more videos and photos you have!

The tank I have is only a standard (30 by 60cm) 15g though, so hoping that will be large enough to keep a pair happy. If not, I'll wait on apistos until I can get a larger tank. :)

Since it seems that you'll be hearing the pitter patter of tiny fins soon, I would have hit you up for some juveniles, if you weren't on another continent - lol!

I originally went to the LFS hoping to walk out with a pair of cacutuoides super reds but they only had the albino variety so I grabbed the aggassizi double reds. They're all beautiful no matter which ones you go for but my favourites are the cacutuoides, agassizi and hongsloi.

That tank would be fine for a pair. Mine are in a 60x30x36cm 18g.

I really hope they breed for me! I've got brine shrimp eggs ready to hatch for when they do pop out babies!

Good luck!

I have two Borellii who are not winning any parents-of-the-year awards. I'm pretty sure I have seen spawning behaviour, but after a few days in the cave, both the fish resume normal behaviour like nothing happened. I think they might be eating the fry before they leave the cave.

At least they're pretty.

Good luck!

I have two Borellii who are not winning any parents-of-the-year awards. I'm pretty sure I have seen spawning behaviour, but after a few days in the cave, both the fish resume normal behaviour like nothing happened. I think they might be eating the fry before they leave the cave.

At least they're pretty.
Are there any other fish in there with them?

I wonder if adding dither fish would help?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back