Are Dwarf Gouramis Really This Shy?

Kevinator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Our dwarf gourami likes to hide in the plants even at feeding time he stays away. He will come out when we turn out the lights but as soon they come on he scurries for the nearest plant and hides. Are they this shy?

Our dwarf gourami likes to hide in the plants even at feeding time he stays away. He will come out when we turn out the lights but as soon they come on he scurries for the nearest plant and hides. Are they this shy?

Are there other inhabitants in the tank that are possibly making the gourami feel unsafe?
I bought a pair and for the first few days they hid a lot because the tiger barbs kept attempting to 'nibble' them (and before I get the backlash from others - I know you're not 'supposed' to keep dwarfs with TBs but I researched it before I took the decision and consulted others who'd kept them together - and ever since the first three days passed, they've coexisted in harmony). They soon came out of the plants and are now regularly seen at the front of the tank in the mid-upper part of the tank.

Also, dwarfs are usually sold in pairs - although many 'experts' suggest two females to one male.
Maybe another dwarf would help your existing one feel more 'safe'.

Hope this helps

Justin

We only have guppies, mollies and platys. Nothing that would really would bother him. We traded in our tiger barbs to get him.:p We were talking about getting another one so I guess we are going to get another one.

We only have guppies, mollies and platys. Nothing that would really would bother him. We traded in our tiger barbs to get him.:p We were talking about getting another one so I guess we are going to get another one.

Good idea.
And don't be put off if at first they don't seem too friendly towards each other - as with so many other fish, they'll probably want to establish who's the boss of the tank first!
Good luck

I'm having a similar problem with my male dwarf. I only really have room for one... I have kuhlie loaches, platies, hatchetfish, a few tetras and a cory. None of tehse would bother him.. When I first got him he was active, now he just hides behind the plants, even at feeding time... I'm really worried. :unsure:

I'm having a similar problem with my male dwarf. I only really have room for one... I have kuhlie loaches, platies, hatchetfish, a few tetras and a cory. None of tehse would bother him.. When I first got him he was active, now he just hides behind the plants, even at feeding time... I'm really worried. :unsure:

Ok, it's pretty close to the limit stockwise (if your signature is anything to go by) but as long as you keep up regular water changes, I think you've probably got room for one more.

If you look at the pinned topic by nmonks you'll see that they do require good quality water conditions.
If you keep up the water changes or even increase them (and if your filtration's good enough) then I'm pretty sure you could squeeze one more in in my opinion

Updated my sig.

The problem is where I'm going to get a female. They don't sell them at any of my lfs, I got the male at liveaquaria.

Updated my sig.

The problem is where I'm going to get a female. They don't sell them at any of my lfs, I got the male at liveaquaria.

I have 4 places where I buy fish from near me and they don't sell females drarfs either what is the deal with that?

the mollies might be the problem as gouramis and mollies don't like each other for some reason. In theory you would have space for another gourami (suggested minimum of 10 gallons/gourami), but I would not recommend it. Dwarfs are prone to stress induced sicknesses, and an extra 'competitor' might create this. I would try him in a molly free environment first to see if he stays that shy.

Normally they shouldn't be that timid; mine go around the tank, and only make sure not to enter each other's territory too much, and they are one of the first to come and feed!

Most reactions

Back