Archer Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

These are really cool fish. They are brackish and they can eat insects outside of the water. I've seen tanks set up 3/4 water and braches jutting out of the water specifically set up to put crickets on so the archers below can spit water at them and knock em' into the water. I love these fish, too bad I have no room to set up a brackish aquarium for a couple of these. :(

i mean like what is there max size, and what tank size do they need and that stuff

They can reach up to a foot (30cm) but 8" is more likely in captivity, they are a shoaling species and need to be kept in groups of 3 or more. The minimum tank size for adult fish would be 75g but larger would be better. They need brackish water and should be fed a diet of mainly insects such as mealworms and crickets to remain healthy.

I used to keep archer fish in a 4' tank but moved them on when they got too large. They eat like pigs and grow VERY quickly. Mine doubled in size within a month. Live crickets are the best food source I found although they will readily accept blood worm too.

Most reactions

Back