Aquatic Frogs

Hi JAYJT :)

I was thinking about the picture of the little waving frog, but I couldn't remember whose it was. I enjoyed seeing it again. So cute! :thumbs:

I have an albino clawed frog and an African dwarf frog ( I checked to make sure it wasn't a clawed) and I was wondering if it is bad that they are in the same aquarium. I've had the dwarf since around Christmas, I think and I just got the albino about 2 weeks ago... so far they are fine but is there anything to worry about?

LeapFrog_85 said:
I have an albino clawed frog and an African dwarf frog ....... so far they are fine but is there anything to worry about?
Hi LeapFrog_85 :)

Unfortunately, there is. :nod:

While they are OK now, and might be for a little while longer, eventually the difference in their sizes will cause a problem. The ACF will get so much larger that it will be able to eat the smaller ADF. :eek:

The good news here is that it will be easy enough to find a new home for the little fellow since 2 of them can live quite comfortably in just a gallon or two of water. ;)

Just make sure that wherever you keep your frogs has a good cover on it. Both kinds are jumpers and they cannot survive out of the water. :)

Inchworm said:
The good news here is that it will be easy enough to find a new home for the little fellow since 2 of them can live quite comfortably in just a gallon or two of water. ;)
Hi Inchworm, what about heat for these little guys?? Do they need a heater in the two gallon tank? What about a filter too?

Hi Pugwinkle :)

If you have the little ADFs they don't need a heater. You don't actually need a filter, either, if you take them out and give the tank a good cleaning every few weeks. Just change a little water in between cleanings.

African Dwarf Frogs are so small and they eat so little that their tanks remain fairly clean. :D

Now, the Clawed Frogs are a different story entirely. :nod:

Inchworm said:

If you have the little ADFs they don't need a heater. You don't actually need a filter, either, if you take them out and give the tank a good cleaning every few weeks. Just change a little water in between cleanings.

African Dwarf Frogs are so small and they eat so little that their tanks remain fairly clean. :D

Now, the Clawed Frogs are a different story entirely. :nod:
Hi Inchworm, have you ever kept the ADF's in a container without heat? The reason I ask is because on another forum they are adamant that the frogs need heat and also they need a minimum of 2.5 gallons per ADF. For the ACF's they say you need at least 10 gallons per frog.

I would like to get some of the ADF's. I am planning a 10 or 15 gallon tank for them eventually but I will be moving in a couple of months so I won't be setting up that tank for awhile. However, I really would love to get the frogs now cuz I doubt that I will be able to get them in the town I'm moving to. So if you are certain they will be okay without heat I could go ahead and get them. I'll wait to hear back from you on this.

Thanks!

I keep my 2 ADFs in a one gallon jar and clean it completely every couple of weeks. They've been living there without heat or filtration for about 2 years. The only problem I've had was when the cat knocked the lid ajar and one must have jumped out.

My room temperature is 70-72 degrees in the winter. As with fish, I think that temperature fluctuations are more of a problem than a steady, if a bit low, temperature. Of course, having a heater will cause no harm.

The bigger ACFs do require a lot more space. When they are fully grown they are big and eat a lot of food. Worms, guppies and other live and/or meaty foods are an important part of their diet and these produce a lot of nasty waste products.

Another thing to consider with the ACFs is that if the tank is too shallow, you will have a really hard time cleaning it because they can jump up from the bottom and out of the tank very quickly. Mine (not yet full grown) are temporarily in a 10 gallon tank and it's hard to clean and keep them in the tank, all at the same time. :lol:

For all creatures, if you can give them larger accomodations rather than smaller, by all means, do. :nod:

Inchworm said:
I keep my 2 ADFs in a one gallon jar and clean it completely every couple of weeks. They've been living there without heat or filtration for about 2 years. The only problem I've had was when the cat knocked the lid ajar and one must have jumped out.
Thanks again Inchworm!!! Looks like I will be able to get my froggies then!! I just have to find something suitable to put them in until I move. :cool:

I do have a 2.5 gallon hex tank but I don't think Barney Betta wants to share that so I'll look for something else :)

:D Going by that pic,they definitely look like they're in the breeding process!LOL I have about 14 of those little guys in various tanks,and I love them to death! Water quality is the issue...bad water will kill them in a heartbeat,other than that,they have done very well with all my other fish.

I am probably going to get a ADF. I have a crab. Will there be a problem?

mrcrabbs said:
I am probably going to get a ADF. I have a crab. Will there be a problem?
Yes, as far as I know you will have a problem. I don't think crabs and frogs go together as tank mates.

Pugwinkle said:
Inchworm said:
Thanks again Inchworm!!! Looks like I will be able to get my froggies then!! I just have to find something suitable to put them in until I move. :cool:

I do have a 2.5 gallon hex tank but I don't think Barney Betta wants to share that so I'll look for something else :)
I have a heater with my three little guys because my father keeps the house at a steady 55 degrees all year around. So that's a little chilly for the fella's.

I'm thinking of getting an ADF for my 2.5 minibow but I'm wondering about the frogs and salt. I know salt usually burns scaleless fish, but what about frogs? I put a bit of salt in that tank a while ago, although the water has been changed a time or two since then. I'm sure theres a bit left in there. Should I do a large water change or multiple water changes or will it be fine with the little bit of salt in there?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back