Aquascape Ideas For My Tank Please!

DrSlackBladder

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well I joined the hobby properly about 6 months ago, and now feel confident that I look after my water and fish well.  However, the scape now needs my attention, as you can see from the pic below.  I'm getting a strong urge now to ditch the silk plants and go "live".  But the problems are not knowing where to start with plants, and not knowing how to re scape.  I'm looking for something natural, but not overgrown chaos.  I like the sand (for the corys) and the bogwood look; but know I need to reposition and choose some plants with some height.  Im thinking one or max two species of plant, low maintenance until I know what I'm doing with plants, no need for ferts or CO2.  Lighting I guess is considered low-medium, being just the two T5 tubes that came with the hood.  Like the idea of building up plants left and/or right, with a free swimming area in the middle (ish).  Any recommendations appreciated!  Also wondering if I should ditch the two pieces of bogwood (pic shows one but I have two side by side about the same sort of size) and get one larger, taller piece?  Thanks!

Nobody?!  
no.gif

Welcome to the planted side of fish keeping! It gets addictive trust me! 

I personally like the Hygrophlia Corombosa or Hygrophilia Stricta for a heightened back ground plant. I too have sand for my substrate, with no CO2 or Ferts. Mine have been super successful. As they grow taller, you can cut them and re plant the stems as they will grow their own roots. 
Vallis is another easy grow plant that is ideal for height and adding some fullness. 

As for the bog wood, you can't go wrong with some Java Fern! You can attach the rhizomes with some cotton string, and they will eventually take root onto the wood and gain it's nutrients through there. Java Fern is next to impossible to kill. You can't bury Java Fern in the substrate, because the rhizome will rot, and this will kill it. Any of the Anubia's variety's are also good on bog wood, and easy to grow. I have both Java Fern and Anubias Nana and they both do just fine. Java Moss is another plant you can add onto your bog wood. Again just wrap some cotton around it and wait for it to attach. 

I also have Cryptocoryne Wendtii on my wood, works in the same way that Java Fern does, and mine have grown absolutely mad! Highly recommend this plant! 
If you like, check out my topic http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/385595-kind-of-rescaping/, you can see all my transitions in plants on there and pictures along the way. 

yes i agrea any Crypt is amazing i would recommend  Hygrophila Guanensis along with Crypto beckettii and Crypto Nevellii i have those in my tank :D lovely plants check my journal i have more plants in my tank than shown in my sig :D

Great, thanks for the ideas!  What about the actual arrangement of plants, wood etc in my tank?  I seem to be able to do little other than something symmetrical or at least "ordered", having trouble doing the random, natural sort of look!

I find it hard to give advice on where to position wood and plants, it really depends on what you like and what you're aiming for. I went through the 'member pictures' on this forum, and got ideas from there. Taking bits and pieces from tanks I really liked. I've found you can never just stick your hand in and get it right the first time. It took me months of arranging and re arranging. 

Naturally, the taller plants, should/can be placed towards the back of the tank. Vallis looks best when planted together in a horizontal row, creating a wall of tall grass. You can also cut Vallis to any length you like. 

As for middle to foreground plants, I like a lot of the Sword varieties. I have Tropica Sword in my foreground, they look like little shrubs, and reproduce by sending out long stems and grow little plants along it. Rather cool!

Honestly, just look at some plants that you like, if compatible with your tank (no Co2) get them, chuck them in, and start playing around. Post pictures up, and we can give you some hints and advice along the way :)

I'd suggest getting some plants and sticking them in, then posting up a picture. We can then suggest moving them about a bit based on what you have.

I'd suggest getting some plants and sticking them in, then posting up a picture. We can then suggest moving them about a bit based on what you have.
good idea

Not yet; away on holiday for a couple of weeks.  But this weekend will be heading home and be plant shopping.  Will keep you guys posted.

Well that sounds exciting. Hope you have a good holiday!

yeah have a good holiday cant w8 :p

Decided to take it easy to start; got rid of all the rocks and silk plants, rearranged the bogwood and planted 7 bunches of cabomba.  Will post some pics when it has settled down a little.  Also added a pair of dwarf gourami - couldn't resist!

IMG_0820_zps4c8f05b5.jpg

Open to suggestions; looks strange with everything being the same height, hoping sides will grow and bush out and I'll keep centre trimmed shorter.....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back