aquarium snails

Yep I saw a female betta grab a trumpet snail and shake it. My male betta eats snails.

I added plants one time that had a snail on them. I only saw one snail and decided to leave it in, not knowing how fast they can multiply. About two weeks later I had dozens of snails and thought it was going to cause a problem. I started pulling them out a few at a time, and when I saw a clutch of eggs I would try to remove that, too. However, since I added apistos to the tank I think they eat the snail eggs. I know nobody would probably believe this, but I think my otos eat the eggs too. I haven't seen any eggs for over a month and the snail population seems to be in check.

Snails are like roaches. They really don't do any harm but they multiply like crazy and once you have them you can't get rid of them.

Snails do add to the bioload though, so even though they may eat algae or leftovers, they poop a lot, too.

the pesty snail i have don't eat plants, just algea.

i squash them and feed them to my betta and shrimp

my 5 gallon tank must have over 100 MTS in it but they eat algea too and hide in the sand all day so i don't really mind them. I scoop them out and put them in my 20 gallon when i get a chance.

i bought a snail from a pet store once and all it did was destroy plants so i got rif of it.

some snails are bad, some are good but most will breed like mad.

Y2J said:
Can u get hold of snails at pet stores? I'd like a few
mostly yeah, try your lfs, just ask them if they got any in the plant tanks and they're more than likely gonna give them away!

Undoubtedly, they would also find some bits of uneaten food, even if you feed very sparingly.

Tiny snails are a real nuisance if your tank has an internal filter, they get in there and clog the sponges. I am going to try the lettuce leaf way of getting rid of some. I also have an Apple Snail which like a lot.

Most reactions

Back