Aquarium Sand

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
i live in scarborough and there are no shops that sell sand for fish tanks and the only thing i can think of doing is ordering this playsand from argos - here - would this be okay after a good wash? and would 15Kg be enough for a 4 footer?
thanks

i live in scarborough and there are no shops that sell sand for fish tanks and the only thing i can think of doing is ordering this playsand from argos - here - would this be okay after a good wash? and would 15Kg be enough for a 4 footer?
thanks

Yeh that would be fine, many people have used it and have been very happy with the results.Aquarium sand is usually overpriced so theres no point in getting it anyway.
I'm not sure but you would probably need 2 bags.I'm sure someone else can help you on that :good:

Hi pinkdolphin_113 :)

Yes, that brand is sold in the UK, so I haven't used it myself, but I've seen it mentioned many times. Like all playsand, it will be necessary to wash it thoroughly and slowly to remove the silt and odd bits. IMHO, it's well worth the trouble.

Only about an inch of sand (or less) is needed, so I think that bag should do the job. If you need more later, it's easy to add.

Thats the same sand as I have used and have had no trouble with it at all :good:

A 15kg bag will be enough to cover a 4 footer with about 1/2 to 1 inch of sand.

Make sure you give it a good rinse. Took me a couple of hours to get it clean but it`s worth it.

just rinse it with a hosepipe in a bucket and carefully pour out the dirty water - mbear in mind its filthy when you wash it! there is pleanty for a 4 footer

I wash my sand, a few cups at a time, in a dishpan. I use lukewarm running water and stir and pour until the water runs clean. It's boring work, but oddly relaxing. :D

Most reactions

Back