Aquarium Safe Lubricant?

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Hi all, I was just wondering what an aquarium safe lubricant would be?
My Aquis 1200 external heater manual says that each of the rubber seals should be lubricated with 'aquarium safe lubricant' before assembling the filter each time so that everything slips together properly. I didn't put any on it last time as I don't have any, (just spread out the stuff that came on it already a bit), but it was tricky getting the rubber parts to 'slip' together.
At the same time I use a syringe to take water out of the tank for doing my water tests, but the rubber seal in that is starting to 'stick' to the inside of the syringe, so I was thinking of also putting some lube on that, (as long as it doesn't affect the tests).

Sooo.... anyone got any ideas what I can use?
 
Aquarium Safe Lubricant?

what do you plan on doing you kinky buggar :)
 
I should have known I couldn't make a post involving lubricants, rubber parts, and slipping into tight fitting areas without some sort of come back! (Now now, don't even go THERE!) - lol

So, seriously, is vaseline the thing to use? That will be safe? (although won't that affect the rubber seals?)
 
This is what I, as well as many other aquarists use for canister filter gaskets, among other things. :lol:
 
Excellent, even more so as I already have a tub of the stuff... :blush:

ROFL!
 
why do you have a tub of the stuff sitting around already :)
 
:whistle:

Nah, seriously, I felt sure we had some from when the kids were younger, but apparently my wife doesn't know where it has gone now... - I ask no more - lol
 
Well I tried it on the syringe I use for the water tests...

Seems to 'lube' it well when first applied but then almost 'sets' by the next time I need to use the syringe :(
 

Most reactions

Back
Top