Aquarium Recommendations - 32 Gal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bcotnam

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently, have a 15Gal Fluval Flex for my betta. Looking at getting another aquarium and looking at recommendations.

Looking at setting up a community tank (neon tetras or neon green rasboras)and was thinking in the range or 32 Gallon Tank. I was looking at the Fluval Flex 32.5 but, wondering if anyone has recommendations. Not sure if i want an all-in-one tank or setup something separately like ADA tank.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
-b

What is your pH, GH, and KH?

You can find this information out on your local water providers website. (We need actual numbers. Ex. ppm)

What is your pH, GH, and KH?

You can find this information out on your local water providers website. (We need actual numbers. Ex. ppm)

Thanks for the reply. Below are the numbers i got from my local water provider.

pH: 8.4 (i actually tested this)
KH: 2
GH:2
ppm: 30mg/L of total hardness which is considered soft.

If you can stretch to it the ADA tanks are stunning, I wasnt a massive fan of their stands but really really want one of the glass ones now. With nice looking equipment (again like the ADA canister) they are out of this world.

I have an Evolution Aqua - Aquascaper 600 which I think is a really nice range, open top tank and I've got a Twinstar light on it. Not sure if they are available in Canada though? Oase have started to do some really nice tanks and they have nice dimensions too.

Are you thinking of going single species with just one big school or is that just part of your plan?

Can I check your ph is 8.4? I've not come across a ph that high with such soft water? Is that the ph in your tank or out of your tap?

Wills

Not just soft but very soft, which is good because it opens so many options in fish for a 32g tank.

The pH is high though, and I would suspect probably because the water authority add something to achieve this; it is common practice in very soft water areas because the usual acidic pH with soft water can corrode pipes, etc. Do you know if something is added, and what? I'm in the Vancouver region and they add soda ash here which dissipates out quickly.

With respect to the tank, I know nothing about the Fluval, but one thing to keep inmind is that longer tanks can be more useful than shorter/taller tanks. Fish that need swimming space or establish territories will be better in longer tanks. The increased surface area at the water surface is also a benefit in longer tanks. And plants if intended (most of the small fish like those mentioned would benefit from plants, or alternatively lots of branches with floating plants) can be easier in shallower tanks.

If you can stretch to it the ADA tanks are stunning, I wasnt a massive fan of their stands but really really want one of the glass ones now. With nice looking equipment (again like the ADA canister) they are out of this world.

I have an Evolution Aqua - Aquascaper 600 which I think is a really nice range, open top tank and I've got a Twinstar light on it. Not sure if they are available in Canada though? Oase have started to do some really nice tanks and they have nice dimensions too.

Are you thinking of going single species with just one big school or is that just part of your plan?

Can I check your ph is 8.4? I've not come across a ph that high with such soft water? Is that the ph in your tank or out of your tap?

Wills

The pH in my current tank is 7.8 - The pH out of my tap is 8.4.. Pretty sure they add something to the water to achieve that high pH.

Not just soft but very soft, which is good because it opens so many options in fish for a 32g tank.

The pH is high though, and I would suspect probably because the water authority add something to achieve this; it is common practice in very soft water areas because the usual acidic pH with soft water can corrode pipes, etc. Do you know if something is added, and what? I'm in the Vancouver region and they add soda ash here which dissipates out quickly.

With respect to the tank, I know nothing about the Fluval, but one thing to keep inmind is that longer tanks can be more useful than shorter/taller tanks. Fish that need swimming space or establish territories will be better in longer tanks. The increased surface area at the water surface is also a benefit in longer tanks. And plants if intended (most of the small fish like those mentioned would benefit from plants, or alternatively lots of branches with floating plants) can be easier in shallower tanks.

Hi,

I know they add something to the water to achieve the higher pH but, not sure what is is.

I was actually looking at longer tanks given the type of schooling fish i want.. Just trying to get recommendation on brands or if it makes a difference. This tank will be heavily planted as well. Thanks for your input.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back