Aquarium Maintenance Gadgets

DrRob said:
I've got a whale pump. 12v caravan thingamy, looks like the one from Maidenhead. Works nicely with a 12V adaptor to get the bucket emptied.
+1
I use a platform, like they use for DIY. On there I put two beer buckets, one marked OUT, one marked IN. Only fresh water is put in the IN bucket to prevent transfer of anything between tanks. The OUT is used to place the initial water from the tank to then enable cleaning of the external filters etc.

I have one hose for OUT and one for IN. The OUT gets started off with a pump attached to my drill, then it will automatically continue on its own. This way I can ensure nothing is transferred between tanks, as I bleach the syphon what I attach to the hose. The hose goes straight down the bath or onto the garden, but NOT the veggie patch!

For IN, the hose is attached to bath taps with a Y set up, and then drawn into the IN bucket, monitoring the temperature. I have got this down to a knack now, so then the WHALE STYLE PUMP, pumps the fresh water, which is mixed with Seachem Prime into the aquarium.

Easy peasy, no back ache :)

So far, I've been going old school, buckets and gravel vac.
But if I'm ever able to get my "dream aquarium" (three guesses how many gallons, LOL) Then I'll probably use a diy drip irrigation flow-out system to make water changes automatic. 

I have 3x 100 litre drums, I fill 2 with fresh water 200 litres add water ager a heater and power head to each drum and leave overnight to heat and generally detoxify I do this next to the tank., Next day I clean the glass and all that just before I change water, I take the 3rd 100 litre drum Its on a furniture trolley and use it to syphon water out of the tank 100 litres at a time I also sometimes vaccum I then dump the water in the garden, I then go back to the tank and pump back 200 litres of temp matched de chlorinated water, I then add 30 millilitres of Easy Life Fluid Filter. things we do for our fish.

I've been using a seneye reef in my freshwater hi-tech tank for a few years now. Along with lots more 'stuff' which makes life much easier and keeps the aquarium incredibly stable.

lotsmore.png

Can't see the pic :/
Can you fill using a regular hose pipe on mixer tap or with mixing adapter? Add dechlor to tank first?

Which pic?
I guess you probably could as there are products out there that enable a direct refill. I have just always preferred to use a bucket as an intermediate to ensure the temperature is maintained and the decolorisation is done prior to the water entering the aquarium.

Sorry, had trouble with my DMZ port forwarding over the last few days so the image didn't show up sometimes.

I've attached it also.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 47
ellena said:
Can't see the pic
confused.gif

Can you fill using a regular hose pipe on mixer tap or with mixing adapter? Add dechlor to tank first?
Yes, you can. I actually use straight cold water, as I don't have a mixer tap; I just trickle the new water in very slowly. I don't mind taking the extra time, if I'm not having to lug buckets around
smile.png

Put the dechlor in first. You do not need to dose for the whole tank, as is sometimes recommended; just enough for the new water.

Most reactions

Back