Aquarium Lighting For A Heavily Planted Tropical Tank? Help!

DonnieDarko333

Reaction score
Hello! :good:

OK, so i've had a tropical fish Aquarium before (mainly with plastic plants, which looked as real as possible)...it lasted 5 years then i decided to have a little break. I now want to go for something a little more challenging.

I've now purchased a Rekord 96 tank and want to totally fill it with real live plants and get a lovely jungle.

I've been told to purchase 2x Nutrafin CO2 kits, Lime-free Gravel, Some (what i would call) compost which goes under the gravel, some RO water (something like that) and a better light system...all this will supposadely make my plants thrive.

The question being, the light system...the idea was to buy a 4x T5 bulb Arcadia 32" Lumanaire, however most of these are for Marine fish only i believe!

Has anyone got any ideas if this is the correct one i need for 'Tropical plants/fish'?

Or any other ideas on what lighting would be efficient? My local fish-shop man was very helpful and tried to explain everything to me...even a cheaper option of adding 2 bulbs to my existing hood etc..but i wanted to purchase something a little more 'safe' shall we say and not 'DIY' as i'll probably break it and i can only really go to £150 for a lighting system and thats pushing it...

Has anyone here got a tank full of live plants and could explain to me in as simple terms possible what lighting would be needed?

Thanks to anyone in advance who helps! :good:

EDIT: I must say i've read the 'lighting faq' in the plant section of the forum and would like a little more help still. Thankyou. Also i'm extremely sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Your best bet would be to post in the plant section as they will know the best lighting to use.

Good luck, and can't wait to see pics when you get everything set up. :good:

Your best bet would be to post in the plant section as they will know the best lighting to use.

I know it shouldnt be in this section but just a quick reply...

I have heard great things for under tank heating and under gravel heating being amongst the best ways to promote decent plant growth. This was right from an expert too so worth a try! :)

I know it shouldnt be in this section but just a quick reply...

I have heard great things for under tank heating and under gravel heating being amongst the best ways to promote decent plant growth. This was right from an expert too so worth a try! :)

Why are you digging up old threads ? I know the olympics are on, but we no longer give medals out for 'Oldest Thread to be Dug Up' but if you want one, PM me and i can arrange one for you :)

Its just humour dont flame me :)

Hahaaa, theres old and old and that is a little ridiculous! I have seen worse elsewhere and would be nowhere near the gold position, apologies! :blush:

suggest admin/mods lock, archive or delete this?

goldmedal.jpg

I know this an ancient thread, but I couldn`t let this comment go. Under gravel heating does nothing for a planted tank. ;)

Dave.

Most reactions

Back