Aquarium in bedroom

Ieesha99

Reaction score
I heard from somewhere that it is dangerous for your health to have an aquarium in your bedroom? Is this true ? Im gonna have a 70l tropical fish tank with a lid

I heard from somewhere that it is dangerous for your health to have an aquarium in your bedroom? Is this true ? Im gonna have a 70l tropical fish tank with a lid
I have two 5 gallon tanks in my bedroom. I am in the midst of setting up a 20 gallon tank in my bedroom as we speak.

I had fish tanks in my bedroom since the 1970s, and whilst I'm dying from various health issues, none were caused by the fish or fish tanks.

I'm not sure how an aquarium can harm your health short of breaking and you cut yourself, or you let black mould grow in the room. That is easily prevented by airing the room out, having the door open and keeping a coverglass on the tank.

I'm dying to have a fish tank in my bedroom.

But you have to be able to sleep with a somewhat present background noise. I'm not...

The real danger is not getting enough sleep because you are looking at them instead. :)

I've heard people say the humidity could be an issue. I never had any problem with it.

I actually have built in tanks on 3 sides of our bed… a lot of people listen to white noise and natural sounds just to be able to sleep… as long as the water level is full enough that the skimmer isn’t too noisy, they actually help us sleep… my lights are on timers, and imo, it’s gentler to wake up to gradually increasing light, than to suddenly wake up to BEEEP… BEEEP… BEEEP…
I’m sure you could set up aquariums that would be bad for you to sleep next to, but just as likely, you could set up aquariums that would help you sleep better…

I actually have built in tanks on 3 sides of our bed…

That sounds absolutely incredible, and something I'd really love to see, if you feel comfortable sharing? I'm just imagining a bed on a platform, over huge tanks on three sides!

I can’t back up enough to catch everything… there are 2 drawers under the bed, so it’s 2-2.5 feet high, and aquariums meet the ones you can see here
IMG_4784.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t back up enough to catch everything… there are 2 drawers under the bed, so it’s 2-2.5 feet high, and aquariums meet the ones you can see here
View attachment 337907

That's pretty incredible! And just one room! Do you have any difficulty getting to the ones at the back, behind the head of the bed, for water changes and maintenance? What's in the tank on the right? :D I'd never sleep, I'd just be watching each tank in turn.

I only have one 15.5g tank in my bedroom now, but have had more, and larger. I don't know of any special health risks (or benefits) beyond potentially mould/damp, but the right cover and ventilation solves that, and those problems would be a risk in any room, not just the bedroom. Besides, some people deliberately buy and use humidifiers because if the atmosphere in their room is too dry it bothers their noses, sinuses, throat etc.

I do hate a noisy filter though. Sick of trying air pumps in my room. You do kinda get used to them, and some gentler bubbling doesn't bother me, but the hum of a loud airpump does, and they all seem to be pretty loud. Those within my budget, anyhow. My bedroom tanks have internal filters now.

I tried the most expensive ones.

They always end in the highest place I can and the furthest as possible. Enclosed in the attic out in the shed...

I don't mind running kilometers of tubing to not hear anything of them. The bubbles are perfect. The humming sound at 60 hertz all the time is a real annoyance.

The area you are talking about @AdoraBelle Dearheart, is my work area, the tanks are about 3 feet from the exterior wall, so I have a good work area behind the tanks… the 45 gallon ( furthest on the left ) is open to view from 3 sides, so being enclosed on the top, I only have the top of one narrow end, to work on the tank from… it’s obviously the most challenging… the pump is up between the rafters in the work area, behind the tanks, and enclosed behind a foam baffle… I can hear just the slightest hum, but really just bubbles from the bed

Last edited:
The tank on the right ( which is still all white from drying out ) is the tank I’m working on right now… picture was from a while ago, that one is now empty of old structure, needs shop vacuumed out, and is about ready to fill again… that one gets black sand bottom, no under gravel filter, and will include Cory’s, and smaller earth eaters and some electric blue acaras and friends

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back