Aquarium Calculator

ALW

What works for one may not work for another!
Joined
Apr 8, 2008
Messages
2,149
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Leeds, UK
How accurate is the aquarium calculator at the top of the forum!
 
Andy, I'm not so sure - I just checked it out by putting in the dimensions of my newest tank - which says it's a 72 litres tank on the box - but according to the calculator for those dimensions it comes up with 85 litres!

So that's confused me! Is there a difference between UK and US litres same as with gallons?

Athena
 
Andy, I'm not so sure - I just checked it out by putting in the dimensions of my newest tank - which says it's a 72 litres tank on the box - but according to the calculator for those dimensions it comes up with 85 litres!

So that's confused me! Is there a difference between UK and US litres same as with gallons?

Athena

A liter is a liter is a litre. You probably put in the outer dimensions instead of the inner dimensions of the tank.
 
So that's confused me! Is there a difference between UK and US litres same as with gallons?
Athena

Nup a Litre is a Litre (Metric System)
 
I just used it on my new 29g aquarium. I call it a 30g because it is like 29. 758..... Anyway, i put the dimensions in : 30 by 12 by 18 and i got 28 gallons. That isnt right.
 
I just used it on my new 29g aquarium. I call it a 30g because it is like 29. 758..... Anyway, i put the dimensions in : 30 by 12 by 18 and i got 28 gallons. That isnt right.

Ok, lets test it.

1 inch = 2.54cm, so;

30" x 12" x 18" = 76.2cm x 30.5cm x 45.7cm;

76.2cm x 30.5cm x 45.7cm = 106,211.4 cubic cms

1 cubic cm of water = 1ml, so;

106,211.4 cubic cms of water = 106,211.4ml = 106.2 litres.


1 UK (Metric) Gallon = 4.55 litres, so;

106.2 litres = 106.2 / 4.55 = 23.3 UK Gallons

1 US (Imperial) Gallon = 3.78 litres, so;

106.2 litres = 106.2 / 3.78 = 28.1 US Gallons


So the calculator appears to be fine. 28 Gallons is correct. :good:

Also, i know the ammonia calculator is spot on too because it was me who designed it. B-)

BTT
 
Andy, I'm not so sure - I just checked it out by putting in the dimensions of my newest tank - which says it's a 72 litres tank on the box - but according to the calculator for those dimensions it comes up with 85 litres!

So that's confused me! Is there a difference between UK and US litres same as with gallons?

Athena


Ok, sorry, I was being a bit of a divvy yesterday :crazy: - my new tank is 24" x 12" x 18" - BUT the height of 18" includes roughly 2" for the hood plus the 1" around the top of the tank marked in black, the bottom edge of this is where the water line normally goes up to, as nobody in their right mind fills the tank right up to the top edge of the glass. I do feel daft!!

So, yes, having recalculated, the forum calculator seems about right.

Athena
 

Most reactions

Back
Top