Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Aquarium Books

Discussion in 'Tropical Discussion' started by starscream, Apr 21, 2011.

1. starscream

starscream Member

Are there any books about the hobby of fish keeping anyone could recomend for me? Is there a book about the different species of fresh water fish?

2. nmonks

nmonks A stroke of the brush does not guarantee art from

If you want a book about the requirements of different species of aquarium fish, the "bible" is perhaps Baensch's Aquarium Atlas vol. 1, which contains more species and more *reliable* information than anything else in its price bracket. I bought my copy in the late 80s and still use it regularly. I think it contains about 500 fish species and about 100 species of plant. Does have a few gaps, but nothing vol. 2, 3, etc. won't fill as you become more adventurous and experienced. It has good sections on filtration, lighting, etc. but these are a bit outdated in some ways and not particularly easy to read (translations from German to English rarely are).

Cheers, Neale

3. nurglespuss

nurglespuss Member

Yes definately second Baensch, I've built up a large collection of aquarium books over the years, and I always turn Baensch.

The only species I would recommend getting a different book for, are catfish (just for more details on species, care etc.).

4. jacko32

jacko32 looking for a hard headed woman

barrons compass guide is excellent and only costs £3 on amazon