AquaManta EFX 200 (meant for 200l) for a 240l Mbuna tank

GBLShorty

Reaction score
could i get away with a AquaManta EFX 200 (meant for 200l) for a 240l Mbuna tank if combined with my 1000l/h trickle filter? because i can get one for £20

The tank will have 15-20 Mbuna and lots of rock.

If you have a decent trickle filter you shouldn't need another filter. However, if you want to use both, then it should be fine.

Mbuna are messy so i wouldnt like to risk it with just one.

I just got offered a Ehiem Pro 2 for £50, better deal?

How big is your trickle filter?
A decent size trickle filter that is set up properly should be ample for a rift lake tank.

Eheim is a reliable good quality brand. I have never heard of or used AquaManta so can't comment on them.

ita 1000l/h thats all i know, its a 3ft long trickle filter with just sponge in it

If you can put a layer of white filter matt on the top of the filter materials, it will help keep the sponges cleaner. Then each week you take the white matt out and hose it off. Every month take the sponges and squeeze them out in a bucket of tank water until they are clean. Then do it again in a clean bucket of tank water. Then put the filter sponges back in the filter.

A 3ft long trickle filter set up properly can do a 600 litre tank. :)

i'm hearing from rift lake forums that i need a 10x turn over per hour, so i think this will work

The main reason you want good turn over in a rift lake tank is due to the pH being very alkaline. Ammonia is very toxic in alkaline water so the more filtration, the faster you remove the ammonia from the water. A properly set up trickle filter should do that easily. Trickle filters were originally designed for marine tanks and they have a high pH too so it should be fine.

I bought it, one of the pipes are to small so had to order but tested it out and its all working fine.

Most reactions

Back