Aquael Unimax 150 External Filter On 10G?

cybergibbons

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm interested in changing from an internal to external filter, and have seen the Aquael Unimax 150 with UV, and it seems like a nice filter. It is however meant for a 150l tank, and has a flow rate of 450l/hr (on the specs, at least).

The Eheim 2213 has also been recommended for this size of tank - and that has a spec of up to 250l tanks, with 390l/hr.

Will I be able to restrict the flow down enough? The tank has a betta (who seems to quite enjoy part of the tank having a bit of a current) and 6 cory catfish in it, and I would say is fairly heavily planted.

Has anyone had any experience of the Aquael Unimax filters? They seem to be made out of good quality materials and to a high standard.

I ordered one yesterday - seems a really well made piece of kit. Very good quality plastic all round, easy to prime.

The flow is reversed compared to a normal filter - from top, to bottom and up via the UV tube.

It has three media baskets. It came with the top full of coarse sponge, the next full of a blend of carbon and zeolite granules (already mixed) and the lower full of cylinder shaped bio-media.

I have decided to go with sponge, then Seachem Matrix, and finally filter wool. I think this will give the best water quality for the tank size.

Most reactions

Back