Aquaclear 110s Bio Material Replacement

kicksnj

New Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have two Aquaclear 110 filters. The box recommends replacement of the Bio material every two to three months and the foam insert every two months. Do they really need to be replaced that often or can they be rinsed and reused? I thought bio ceramic material should last a long time and just occasionally cleaned with tank water to preserve the bacteria as much as possible.
 
Hi kicksnj :)

You can use the filter media for a lot longer than that. I used to use the sponge only and fill the rest of the chamber with filter floss. Some people stack two sponges. Then, before it becomes clogged, just rinse them out in used tank water. It's easily done and will last until the day comes that the water has trouble flowing through it. When it comes time to replace the media, be sure to replace just part of it at a time to preserve your bacteria.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top