I'm interested to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
I used to be an avid pond fish keeper, and I have a fairly monster filter that the water used to run through. It was a top-fed, bottom drain filter, (water in at the top, out at the bottom effectivly), and it was in this order:
course sponge
course sponge
course sponge
finer sponge
bio media (corrugated tubes of plastic)
That made sense to me. Filter out the big particals, filter out the smaller particals, lastly give the bacteria somewhere to live.
Similarly my intank Interpet PF2 filter has the following arrangement;
Course sponge
Charcoal sponge
Fine wool
Ceramic noodles
What has thrown me however is the layout of my new aquarium filter, (Aquis 1200). This is the better 'upflow' design where the dirty water is deposited at the bottom, and then flows up through the media, and finally exits at the top.
The media layers for this though, starting from the bottom and working up, (so following the flow of water so as to compare with two above);
Bio-Balls
Course Sponge (15ppi)
Porous ceramic noodles
Course Sponge (15ppi)
Black Sponge (35ppi)
Wool
So the sponge order makes sense to me, I was just REALLY suprised to see the bio elements that early in the filter. Surely don't they just get choked up with the larger particals?
I would have expected something more like this:
Course Sponge (15ppi)
bio-balls
Course sponge (15ppi)
ceramic noodles
blank sponge (35ppi)
Wool
Just intrigued what other people think, and what the layout of their external cannister filters is like.
Thanks
I used to be an avid pond fish keeper, and I have a fairly monster filter that the water used to run through. It was a top-fed, bottom drain filter, (water in at the top, out at the bottom effectivly), and it was in this order:
course sponge
course sponge
course sponge
finer sponge
bio media (corrugated tubes of plastic)
That made sense to me. Filter out the big particals, filter out the smaller particals, lastly give the bacteria somewhere to live.
Similarly my intank Interpet PF2 filter has the following arrangement;
Course sponge
Charcoal sponge
Fine wool
Ceramic noodles
What has thrown me however is the layout of my new aquarium filter, (Aquis 1200). This is the better 'upflow' design where the dirty water is deposited at the bottom, and then flows up through the media, and finally exits at the top.
The media layers for this though, starting from the bottom and working up, (so following the flow of water so as to compare with two above);
Bio-Balls
Course Sponge (15ppi)
Porous ceramic noodles
Course Sponge (15ppi)
Black Sponge (35ppi)
Wool
So the sponge order makes sense to me, I was just REALLY suprised to see the bio elements that early in the filter. Surely don't they just get choked up with the larger particals?
I would have expected something more like this:
Course Sponge (15ppi)
bio-balls
Course sponge (15ppi)
ceramic noodles
blank sponge (35ppi)
Wool
Just intrigued what other people think, and what the layout of their external cannister filters is like.
Thanks








