Aqua One Acquience 1500r lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Peter Watters

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and have had a quick look round but am looking for advise on my lighting unit.

My tank has two units and one has failed a couple of time (have replaced the ballast) but its gone again and I'm getting tired of changing it. A replacement unit is £160+, I wondered if anyone has any better recommendations such as replacing with LEDs for example?

I have googled this but not finding anything very helpful.

Any suggestions or recommendations greatly received.

Thanks
Peter

Check out LED spotlights at a hardware or lighting store.

Depending on tank height go for a 50, 75, 100 or 150watt spot light with its own cord. Hang it about 12 inches above the tank. LEDs usually produce a little bit less light than Fluoros and metal halides but check the lumens on them. If in doubt, ask the store if you can bring it back and swap for a higher wattage one if it's not bright enough.

To test the light, hang it about 12 inches above the tank and turn it on. Put your hand just under the surface of the water and see if there is a decent shadow (from your hand) on the substrate. If there is a good shadow the light is bright enough for plants.

Get one with a globe that has a temperature rating of 5500K - 6500K (K is for Kelvin)

Thanks for the suggestion but I have 3 cats who would be far too pleased if I had the lid off!

A few years ago I had similar problems and solved these by using arcadia stretch lights. Just do a search, they are fine if you are not looking for a high light application

Thanks for the suggestion but I have 3 cats who would be far too pleased if I had the lid off!

Colin didn't say to take the lid off....what kind of lid is it? You can always buy glass lids (I love these). Also, do you have a planted tank or not? Lighting strength will depend on this as well. I love my fluval aquasky leds. You can change the colors to almost whatever you want. Now they aren't specifically for plants, but that's what I'm trying to dial it in to.

I have Superfish LED tubes. Mine are replacements for T8 tubes but I think they also do T5 versions. They just clip into the fluorescent tube holders for support but they use their own power supply. I just removed the original fluorescent power cable to avoid plugging the wrong one in.

Colin didn't say to take the lid off....what kind of lid is it?
Not sure it would work with a non aquarium light in the tank under the lid?

Thanks for the suggestions for Fluval Aquasky and Superfish LED but having googled them would be cheaper to but a new lighting unit. They do look good though.

Not sure it would work with a non aquarium light in the tank under the lid?

Thanks for the suggestions for Fluval Aquasky and Superfish LED but having googled them would be cheaper to but a new lighting unit. They do look good though.

I'm saying if you want more lighting choices....get rid of the hood you have and go with a glass top. Then you could do something like my aquasky or something like Colin suggested which is hanging lights above the tank. Here is a link to the glass tops I buy and then a picture of my aquasky on the tank. I'm not saying you should buy the aquasky, there are tons of other choices of course. Lol. But a glass top on the tank would give you way more options for lighting.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3731+3790&pcatid=3790

2018-08-30-11-34-06.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back